Wanted: Tank cleaners and bottom feeders for daily chores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gavin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all

Right, advice time if you'd be so kind.

Having had a small disaster with a murderous red crab, I'm after some advice before I go off and do something else a little daft.

I'd quite like to add a new life to my tank that will help keep the place clean and tidy. Not that the tank is at all messy, I'd just like something that will take some of the scraps that fall to the bottom. Can anyone recommend something?

Tank is a 30 litre Bi-orb so it's not massive (black ghost knife fish out of the question). Unfortunately it has that rough ceramic media in it. I'm thinking that for some fish this may be too far away from sand/gravel for them to be happy.

Currently there's 1 beta. 1 small angel (a short term resident) and 2 blue male guppys in there.

Thanks and fire away!

Shrimp or snails, snails would work best, however you would never get rid of them..

That rough ceramic media is suppose to go into a filter as bio media, though as substrate is a unique idea. Most fish seem to prefer softer bottoms, but there are some that want a rough one instead (like twin spot puffers). I like to use small grain gravel. Less room in between the grains for uneaten food to get out of the reach of scavengers...which now leads to your question...

A little cory cat should do OK. Do you have a heater? If you ahve a heater and water parameters are good, a couple of little panda cories may suit. Or you can look into a small school of pigmy cories. They are tiny little things. I would suggest keeping them with a sand bottom, so they don't get trapped or injured from the spaces between the grains. Any tiny fish like that should be kept with a sand bottom.

Green, bronze, and albino cories are the most popular. Juliis are well sought after too. Nice patterns.

- Blind Cave Fish or Blind Cave Tetras. Used to see them at Petco a lot but not too much anymore. They will pick at the bottom of your tank all day and night. They are also interesting to watch because they have no eyes. They migth eat your live plants if you have any. Just remember having a cleaning crew doesn't make less work for you. You still have vacuum the gravel to get rid of the poop. Also whatever you decide to add to the tank consider the bioload and increased frequency of PWC you may encounter.

With that media on the bottom, stay away from any fish with barbels, including cory cats. Rough media has been shown to wear away the barbels and showy fins of some fish. One of my favorite scrap food finders is the yo-yo loach, but they like to be in groups and your tank is too small for a trio of yo-yos. Khuli loaches might be okay, but I have to wonder if the media is too rough for them also. Your best bet may be snails--go for ones that reproduce sexually, as they are slower to dominate the tank (remember to do your research first!).

Blind cave fish may be interesting, yes, but have you ever stuck your hand in a tank with blind cave fish??? LOL. It's an experience. Next time you see a tank full of blind cave fish...stick your hand in there...LOL. It's what they do to your fish and perhaps why you really don't see them too much anymore for sale. They bite whatever they happen to run into. So much for not having any eyes. Should only go into a tank with fast fish...and bigger than the 7 gallon this person has.

My cleaning crew includes 2 gold mystery snails (they don't breed fast if at all....mine never have), 2 ghost shrimp (super cheap), and 2 small plecos (they suck around a little but do require their own food and can get big). They do a great job of helping out. I recomend the first two...snails and shrimp are great!

Thanks guys

Sounds like it's a debate between the snails or the shrimp for me then. Quite like the idea of a couple of shrimp in there I must say

Shrimp are a healthier choice being they really don't play host to invading digenetic parasites as snails do.

Shrimp are a little more interesting to watch too...LOL.

Back
Top Bottom