Wanting banded kuhli loaches - would they work in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a planted 20G high tank. All parameters are stable and have been for a while. Temp 79F. Marineland Penguin 150HOB with filtration up to 30gph. 30% water changes once a week. Dosing with 1ml Flourish Comprehensive and I also have some root tabs in. Prime is my water conditioner.

Stocking: 2 peacock gudgeons, three fancy guppies, two small (but adult) Japan Blue guppies which are 1/2 the size of fancy guppies, seven glowlight tetras and one dwarf gourami.

Plants: bunches. See my signature for my full tank setup.

I'd like to add a few banded kuhli loaches.

I have Eco Complete as my substrate. Will this be OK for them? Anyone currently have loaches on this substrate?

Girl at PetSmart said the kuhli loaches would uproot my plants. Is this true?

Any thoughts welcome.

My tank from a month ago. The mystery snails are no longer in this tank.
IMG_0710.JPG

I currently have a planted 20G high tank. All parameters are stable and have been for a while. Temp 79F. Marineland Penguin 150HOB with filtration up to 30gph. 30% water changes once a week. Dosing with 1ml Flourish Comprehensive and I also have some root tabs in. Prime is my water conditioner.

Stocking: 2 peacock gudgeons, three fancy guppies, two small (but adult) Japan Blue guppies which are 1/2 the size of fancy guppies, seven glowlight tetras and one dwarf gourami.

Plants: bunches. See my signature for my full tank setup.

I'd like to add a few banded kuhli loaches.

I have Eco Complete as my substrate. Will this be OK for them? Anyone currently have loaches on this substrate?

Girl at PetSmart said the kuhli loaches would uproot my plants. Is this true?

Any thoughts welcome.

My tank from a month ago. The mystery snails are no longer in this tank.

I think they could work in your tank. Are very social so you need at least 4. No they will not up root the plants. I keep mine in sand with plants and they never up root things. Also I have heard that they will do fine on Eco complete.

I believe they would be fine. Their bioload is minimal and plenty of space at the bottom of the tank. Eco-complete is fine as a substrate.

Thanks for the advice! I picked up two tonight. :) I know I should get more, but I want to see how these two do first, then add more later.

Off topic a touch but wanted to tell you that your tank is filling in really nicely and like the way you wrapped the Pennywort on the top branch. The loaches should be a good addition with your stock.

Off topic a touch but wanted to tell you that your tank is filling in really nicely and like the way you wrapped the Pennywort on the top branch. The loaches should be a good addition with your stock.

Thank you. It actually doesn't look as pretty now. I'm still battling some brown/orange crud on the pennywort. Still have diatoms, too, even after several months. :(

You might want to think about getting 2 Oto's or a couple little nerites. Don't think you will have the same problem with the nerites as your having with your mystery snails. Both Oto's and Nerites love diatoms, plus both eat bio-film and green dust algae. Nerites also eat green spot algae which no other algae eater can. Plus Nerites aren't that big especially if you can find the little Horned or Spiney as some call them Nerites.

Back
Top Bottom