Wanting to go from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to go from gravel to sand, I'm gonna check out pool filter sand as well as the stuff from my local fish store, and I know that it's best to rinse it in a pillow case before adding it. Any other tricks to make the switch? I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with a sandy natural color or go darker to bring out the color of my fish. Any recommendations? Also if I rinsed off sea shells that I gathered as a kid would there be any issues?

My only suggestion would be to watch your tank parameters for next 2wks after you switch as you will be losing a portion of your bb & it will need to re-establish itself on the new substrate (sand). You could also place some of your old gravel in a mesh bag or a piece of pantyhose & place it in the tank to help things along. Im not positive on the seashells- they are made of calcium carbonate & they may have the effect of raising your ph as they disintegrate. Hope this helps! Oh, and the pillow case trick works great for washing sand!

Do I have to add anything other then sand? I don't have live plants just yet, kinda have that on the backburner as I'm expecting a baby in may. Also I'm glad to say my one GBR who had a viciously nipped tail at my lfs is now Doug great and his tail is growing and he's showing color now. He didn't before I think due to stress

Congrats on the new baby!!! Im not a plant expert & my low tech plants seem to be ok with sand or gravel (diff tanks). I know some people use a plant substrate beneath the sand (such as flourite, ecocomplete, organic soil) but i dont know much about doing it yet. Still learning! Hopefully, someone can advise you on this-if not, i would ask in the fw planted section. Im glad your gbr is doing better!

Forgot to mention- the pool filter sand is pretty nice because its coarser than the stuff most lfs stores sell. Look for a silica-based sand because alot of sands are carbonate-based which will affect your ph.

Sand is great i just put some in my 10-gal bw tank. and i wish i had thought of the whole pillow case idea lol. i spent like 39 minutes literally rinsing the sand in a big bowl lol. As for the seashells there probably not a good idea, any bacteria they picked up from the ocean is probably long gone but the will cause a ph whack job on your water.

Chronos313 said:
I want to go from gravel to sand, I'm gonna check out pool filter sand as well as the stuff from my local fish store, and I know that it's best to rinse it in a pillow case before adding it. Any other tricks to make the switch? I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with a sandy natural color or go darker to bring out the color of my fish. Any recommendations? Also if I rinsed off sea shells that I gathered as a kid would there be any issues?

I used petco sand I didn't even have to rinse or clean it. It looks great.

Back
Top Bottom