Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

War in my Tank!!

Short of breaking out the chemical weapons, I have done everything to rid myself of pond and ramshorn snails! I tried lettuce and no feeding for 2 days but they didnt like the lettuce. I finally took all decor and plants out and washed them clean. I have sand that I vacuumedm (then my mom vacuumed it much much more aggresively) and I am still crushing them on the glass!!! So I am going to crush any and all I see and drop in an algae wafer (their favorite) and then pull it out when they cover it. Most of the sanils are to small for the assassins to pick up. Hopefully this works. I dont want to pull out sand and everything and start completely fresh...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but IME, everything will have to be removed and boiled and cleaned and dried and cleaned again... snail problems are common.. maybe someone else with have some suggestions .. best of luck to you

Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. Hopefully I wont have to go that far ;(
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreekers
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but IME, everything will have to be removed and boiled and cleaned and dried and cleaned again... snail problems are common.. maybe someone else with have some suggestions .. best of luck to you
You will never 100% rid your tank of them unless you do this ^^^ just keep squishing and catching them and eventually you will get the population under control.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmmmm.... hopefully they will not be able to reproduce due to being to young? Then we can kill them all! I dont know just despise them!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

And be careful to not overfeed your fish! I use my snails to let me know when I've been falling for the betta's "frantic swim of starvation" too often. When I don't overfeed, the snails all but disappear.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok. Im working on the over feeding lol In my defense it is hard to judge how much floating flake food pygmy cories eat lol

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com