Warm Water Alage Eaters - Non-Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All! So I just had to get rid of my 9.5" long rhino pleco, as he was too big for my tank, but also pooped so much it was killing my bio-load (not a good thing for a discus tank.)

I am looking for warm water (my tank is at 82.5 degrees for the discus) algae eaters. I currently have a flying fox, but they cannot live with one another when they get older. I have had good experiences with ottos in my previous tanks, but my tank is too warm, and ive heard they will suck on the discus for the discus' nutritionally rich slime.

That being said, any other ideas out there?

Thanks!
E

Then you really shouldn't be having problems with algae. If I were you, I'd just use an algae sponge and just polish the glass up when needed

Sent via echolocation

I've read that they aren't the best at actually eating algae, do you have experience with them?

E
I've kept them for years. I know for a fact they devour BBA. I also see them constantly working on my dw and the sides of the tank. They are busy little guys. Fun to watch too. I had one that bugged a sick angel recently, not sure what was going on there. I've never seen that before and my others never bother any of my fish.

I've kept them for years. I know for a fact they devour BBA. I also see them constantly working on my dw and the sides of the tank. They are busy little guys. Fun to watch too. I had one that bugged a sick angel recently, not sure what was going on there. I've never seen that before and my others never bother any of my fish.

Sounds good. I have a flying fox in there. You think they will get along?

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Sounds good. I have a flying fox in there. You think they will get along?

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Not really sure about that. I think it's mainly the Chinese Algae Eater that should be avoided. They become aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom