WARNING: Cellulitis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to warn those of you who put your hands into your tanks. All it takes is the SMALLEST cut/abrasion you can imagine to get bacteria from your tank water to enter your skin. You might not even know there is a break in you skin. I had a sore that didn't heal for 2 weeks. I had cut it cleaning out a filter with Q -tips, and my hand scraped against the filter. This happened 3-4 times, each time making my hand bleed a bit, but healed in the week until I did water changes again every week. Finally, one time it didn't heal, and I developed Cellulitis. I went to Urgent Care, because the sore had not healed, and I was developing big bumps (like hives) under my skin almost up to my elbow. I was put on antibiotics and told to wear gloves (up to armpit) from now on. These infections can turn into staph infections, and you know what that means--life threatening, and hospitalization requiring IV antibiotics. This scared me enough to really learn my lesson. Below is a picture of my hand that shows the lesion only, not the lumps (that were pink).

001.jpgScary stuff.

Well, it's a good thing you're alright.

I don't know though, I always have cuts and scrapes and open sores just because I'm clumsy and rough with everything I do but I've never had any issues. I don't think there's ever a time that I don't have at least a few cuts on my hands.

My doctor told me I have some crazy super immune system though so maybe that is the reason I've never had issues. I guess it's something to just keep in the back of your mind.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yowzers... that's scary stuff. I chance it all the time, i have cuts on my hands more often than not when working in the tank. I usually give them a good scrub after but it's still a game of chance. Tanks can harbor some nasty stuff..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm on day three of antibiotics. My hand is more swollen, but I expected that, since it takes antibiotics a few days to start working. I have no increased pain though, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I didn't inform the physician of Mycobacteriosis, but if I have further problems, I will. I'm on a very high dose of antibiotics. I was told to use only my right hand, and that's hard when you have a lot of pets, including parrots. I also have a good immune system. I have a lot of allergies, and that means an overactive immune system. But as I said, I injured this specific spot on my hand on more than a few occasions before this finally happened. I will be using the extra-long Q-tips from now on for the filter that I cut my hand on. This is no fun!

Oh my gosh!!
Something like that is definitely going to happen to me. I have abrasions on my hands all the time from habitually biting my cuticles. I worry about it but try to have really good hand washing. Yikes :( Now I'm all scared.
I do have the gloves but it makes it very difficult to work, especially in my deep 24" deep tank, it is quite difficult with the gloves on.

Tanks are nothing more than bacteria laden cess pools :hide:

They are horrifyingly disgusting, but I don't really worry about it in general. If you cut yourself on anything in the tank wound care is going to be pretty important. Properly cleansing and covering the wound would most likely prevent an infection.

Hope you heal soon, please consider taking probiotics for your intestinal balance as those harsh antibiotics usually kill off a lot of the good ones as well.

There are numerous articles about infectious diseases like all types of staph and TB and all around germy antiboitic resistent problems because of the high amounts of antibiotics used in breeders husbandry practices. Scary! Even wearing gloves, aI get holes in them all the time anyway...

Yes, I didn't take the cuts seriously, and didn't keep it covered, so this was bound to happen eventually. I always wash my hands after water changes, but when you have your hand buried in a filter, cleaning it with Q-Tips, and the Q-Tips aren't quite long enough, and therefore you brush your hand against something sharp, along with the fish poop, well... let's just say it's a hard lesson that I'll never forget.

What kind of parrots are you owned by? I have three. A quaker, an african red bellied female, and a yellow sided green cheek conure. Hope you get well soon. Alison

i have a Blue and Gold Macaw, an African Gray, A yellow Fronted Amazon, A Patagonian Conure and a cockatiel. I'm still battling the cellulitis, by the way. It was getting worse, so I was put on Amoxicillin, a high dose, and told that if no improvement, will have to get IV antibiotics. That hand and arm are still sore. I think I'm almost out of the woods. It's been a long few weeks, and the water changes are certainly not easy when you have only one hand to work with! Aliray, I used to have a green cheek conure. Cute little things, but mine never learned to say a word. Does yours talk?

I'm still battling the cellulitis. It was getting worse, so I was put on Amoxicillin, a high dose, and told that if no improvement, will have to get IV antibiotics. That hand and arm are still sore. I think I'm almost out of the woods. It's been a long few weeks

Did you mention the mycobacterium from fish to your DR?
Are they confident in the cellulitis diagnosis?
I'm glad to hear you are getting better!

Back
Top Bottom