Warning! Check your HEATER.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, this is a warning to test and check your heater regularly. As I have just experienced the worst imaginable. The heater I was using malfunctioned staying on and over heating my 80 gal. Yes I lost several fish, all the Neons are gone ?, Cichlids, some Swordtails, a Beta and Ghost Shrimp.

Went to feed them this morning and the Beta was not there, while looking for him noticed a Neon floating. Hmmm not good what happened reached in to pick him out and woo the water is warm. Checked the thermo 100* F oh my god ? what's going on here. I immediately started removing water with the Python and adding cold about 3/4 gallon at a time. This brought the temp back down slowly.

Oh and yes I unplugged and pulled the heater out first and tossed it in the sink turned water on it was steaming. I figure the temp sensor went out and she just kept heating. I can't even tell you the brand name or wattage I bought it so long ago. Anyway in search of a new one now.

Looking for something to maintain the water temp for an 80 gal. Maybe that Fluval E 300 anyone have experience with that one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have heater controllers (Finnex Max-300) on a couple of my tanks: it will automatically shut the heater off if it goes above a certain temperature, which is set by the user.

So sorry to hear about your fish. Many years ago I had a very large Tilapia which used to try to get the heater stat off the glass. I came down one morning to find him cooked. Not a nice experience.
I now use a digital external heater control unit with an internal probe set to 78f, the heater stats are set to 82f so if the probe fails the heater stats can't go over 82f. It's also easy to raise or lower the tank temp if needed.

Several years ago that happened to me too. I got up in the morning to an awful smell. All of my fish were cooked. It was horrible.

Oh my gosh I am so sorry for your loss.

We use Aquenon Pro (NOT the preset ones ugh). We love their heaters. and we have one Marina 50w mini. In our 20g we have an Aquenon Pro 100w and in our 5g female bettas tank we have a 50w Aqueon Pro. The male bettas 5g tank has the Marina 50w mini.

Do you have a separate thermometer in tank? That's always a good idea.

Forgot to mention I really like the Eheim Jäger heaters. They are also fully submersible. I wouldn't exactly go with the 5 watts per Gallo with them though... One of my tanks runs a bit warmer than I'd like.

Caleb

I have heater controllers (Finnex Max-300) on a couple of my tanks: it will automatically shut the heater off if it goes above a certain temperature, which is set by the user.

That's a very good idea. Are they very expensive? Also in wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can do in case of a power outage because if in not home and the power goes out. . When it goes back in my hob filter will be running dry unless I pour water into it. What if I'm not there to do that!? It will break for sure or the bacteria will dry out etc

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a very good idea. Are they very expensive? Also in wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can do in case of a power outage because if in not home and the power goes out. . When it goes back in my hob filter will be running dry unless I pour water into it. What if I'm not there to do that!? It will break for sure or the bacteria will dry out etc

The HOB should restart right up unless your water level is way below where it should be. All my Aquaclear restarts without priming after being powered off unless I was doing water change.

The Finnex was about $30 on Amazon.

To avoid this, I like to choose a wattage that can't possibly heat the tank past about 90 F even if cranked up all the way. For larger tanks, 2 heaters might be necessary.

I know all these heaters have thermostats and should shut the heater off once the set temp is reached. Problem is when that thermostat fails the heater remained on taking the temp up much to high.

I like this method of two smaller heaters Perfectdepth I will have to look into that. I guess I would need 2 -200 watt. I see everything states 300 watt for 80 gal so 200 watt should not be able to overheat it. I wish I wrote down what the heater was not even sure the wattage of it. Really don't think it was 300 watts, but maybe. Does anyone have any past experience with this? I would love to hear your thoughts.

The good is the survivors seem to be faring well now the temp is back down to normal. I have to add a little warm water in the AM as the temp was starting to get a bit low. I will have to watch it until I get a heater or heaters up and running again. They all are eating and seem happy.

Thanks

Never had that uissue thankfully.. I have 2 really old heaters that are like 20 years old and still work fine, and the other heaters im using are Aqueon's a 150, an 300w, and some petco brand 200w.. I also have those preset tetra heaters for smaller tanks and haven't had issues with any of them

Back
Top Bottom