Warning: Choking Hazard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed this morning my Bolivian Ram is chewing on a piece of gravel. I've seen him pick one up and "chew it" then put it down. This one he is holding onto and it seems the other fish want it too. He has his tail fin up as defense and is not letting anyone near it. Any ideas? I don't want him to choke on it... Ha and you can see my common pleco in the back stalking him for the rock...

fpTlh.jpg

Yea very weird, I put in some shrimp pellets so he would go after those instead and he did. Maybe that rock just tasted sooo good

Many species, like blood parrots, will move gravel around to create a "nest". It is possible for fish to develop lockjaw if they hold onto a piece too long. You might want to watch this guy.

I saw this with a rainbow once. Except with a hunk of bloodworms. He was choking and it was stuck in his mouth. Definitely not a good thing

Many species, like blood parrots, will move gravel around to create a "nest". It is possible for fish to develop lockjaw if they hold onto a piece too long. You might want to watch this guy.

Yeah, you should probably watch him. It could turn into a problem.

bud29 said:
Yeah, you should probably watch him. It could turn into a problem.

Oh man, well he's been fine so far, I think he was just hungry. So for some reason he was fixated on that rock. I hope he doesnt do it again though he is my favorite fish by far!

Back
Top Bottom