Was my molly kicked out of her group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
I have, well, had three mollies. Two dalmations and one black lyre tail. When the male dalmation got a look at the black lyre tail female he instantly forgot all about his little dalmation girl. He totally ignored her. She sort of became isolated. she would swim with the rest of the community, and I hand fed (well, not actually by hand but with clean plastic, fish-only tweezers) algae tabs to make sure she was eating. She would also come up to the top for food. But I swear she looked sad. I knew she wasn't happy. Before I could quarantine another female friend, she died. Is it me, or did she die from being excluded? All the other fish are thriving, the water is healthy, so I can't think what else it could be. She had no outward symptoms of illness besides looking sad.

I don't think fish would die from being excluded...was the other fish chasing it away from the group or that one fish just stayed away from the group? Most of the time the SICK one will separate its self from the group usually staying low to the gravel in a corner or hiding behind plants.

Molly

To answer you both...she didn't crash at all...she was happy, swimming, then one day seemed to separate. Then the next, dead. It was so sad. And yes, we did quarantine the fish before adding them. We always do. And they were very active. Our water quality is fine. Clear, all levels balanced. All of the other fish are happy and active. So it's odd that she died...We had her in quarantine with the male dalmation for two weeks, then they were in the main tank for about a month

Back
Top Bottom