Waste problem in 29 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pleco I have both of those filters, just bigger models. I like the aquaclear better. The bio wheels don't work very well after a few months. It's a good concept but fails to follow thru. On my 25 gallon I have a penguin and an aqua clear 70. I know it's over kill for a small tank but I have a larger penguin and a new canister on my 55 gallon so moved the aqua 70 to small tank and reduced the volume.

In your opinion do you think the penguin produces clearer water? Also do you know anything about water plants?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In your opinion do you think the penguin produces clearer water? Also do you know anything about water plants?

Out of the box, I'd agree with you on the penguin producing clearer water because of the cartridge. But those will clog and breakdown over time each with repeated washing a using tank water. You can always add floss to the AC filter and maybe some purigen for ultra clear water. I like the flexibility of media in the AC series.
I inject CO2 in my planted tank and I view the biowheel as a means for the CO2 to escape (have one but don't use it).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Out of the box, I'd agree with you on the penguin producing clearer water because of the cartridge. But those will clog and breakdown over time each with repeated washing a using tank water. You can always add floss to the AC filter and maybe some purigen for ultra clear water. I like the flexibility of media in the AC series.
I inject CO2 in my planted tank and I view the biowheel as a means for the CO2 to escape (have one but don't use it).

You mentioned you have a planted tank. Is it possible to sustain plant life with Marineland LED's? I have some water hyacinth and water lettuce that I would like to bring in from the pond during the winter.

No experience with the ML LEDs. As for water lettuce and hyacinth, I was only able to over winter the water lettuce. I used standard T-8 bulbs and T5 normal output bulbs at the time. The water lettuce went from salad plate size to to quarter/half dollar size. Interestingly, as I got into more advanced lighting and ferts, I was less successful with water lettuce.
Might be easier just to wait for spring to get new plants versus the cost of over-wintering them.

I've tried for 2 seasons now to overwinter the hyacinth and they just rot away. Water lettuce grows and grows though.

Pleco, are you using anything different in your canister?

I'm just using the stuff that came with the canister filter though I buy a big pack of Big Al's filter floss rather than buying the small expensive Eheim stuff. For all you non Canadians Big Al's is a really big aquarium franchise here.

Back
Top Bottom