Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have well water at my house. I have access to softened and unsoftened well water. I could also get city water from a family members house. My question is can I use this water instead of r/o water? I don't really want to put that kind of money every week into my tank if I can get water for free. Or is there some kind of system that I could hook up to my sink that produces r/o water?

Whats wrong with your free well water that you dont want to use it? I would love to have well water over my horrid city water!!! RO water really isnt necessary for most fw setups unless there is something severely wrong with your tap water. They do make Ro units for under your kitchen sink but they are not cheap.

Would you have to drive to your family members house just to use their water?

But why not use your well water?

Ok. That answered my question. Thanks to all of you. I had some trouble with my tank at set up and an employee at my lfs told me to use r/o. So my next question is should I use straight well or the water that was softened with salt. And what do you recommend putting in it. One of you said prime. Is there a brand and what's the cost?

I've read that it's better to use the unsoftened well water. That's what I'm doing. The pH is high but stable. There is also iron for the plants.

Newfishlover said:
Ok. That answered my question. Thanks to all of you. I had some trouble with my tank at set up and an employee at my lfs told me to use r/o. So my next question is should I use straight well or the water that was softened with salt. And what do you recommend putting in it. One of you said prime. Is there a brand and what's the cost?

Its a brand, Seachem Prime. It runs $6-11 dollars depending on size.

Thanks to all. Now I can get on a schedule for water changes and not worry about running to the store to get water first.

Well it was my fault too. I didn't do research on cycling and lost some fish and had extremely cloudy water. At that time I used dechlorinated city water. He said that he has had tank for many years and he only trusts r/o water. So I went home did water change with that water and my water cleared up within a day and I haven't had problems since. I just wanted an easier option.

Back
Top Bottom