Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmmm well I guess that would be bad? I am just trying to figure out a way to slowly adjust fish (rummy nose tetra) to my tap water (each water change will add 1-2 gallons more of my tap). I don't have them yet but I have already lost the 6 of 9 that I had. And yes, I did a slow drip acclimation over a period of 4 hours in a dark 5g bucket with airstone and heater. I still took all back to store since large percent died within 48 hours. So back to my concern, I am just seeking ways to approach such delicate fish.
BTW ph stable at 7.4

rummynose prefer a ph of 6.4-7, but it isn't needed. most fish in the trade are tank bred and can handle most levels of ph as long as its stable. 7.4 ph should be just fine, i think you may have something else going wrong. did you ask your lfs if that batch of rummynose has been bad? have you checked your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? have you checked your ph at night, to see if it drops at all? is there other fish in the tank?

rummynose prefer a ph of 6.4-7, but it isn't needed. most fish in the trade are tank bred and can handle most levels of ph as long as its stable. 7.4 ph should be just fine, i think you may have something else going wrong. did you ask your lfs if that batch of rummynose has been bad? have you checked your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? have you checked your ph at night, to see if it drops at all? is there other fish in the tank?

Ph stays the same at night, 2 panda cories (been in 3 weeks), 1 rubberlip (in for 1 year), & 1 otto (been in for 24 hours from one of my other tanks) which they are not affected. I test weekly with API master kit, 7.4, 0, 0, 5-10 are the results with 50% weekly water changes. Oh, I also have a floating breeder holding guppy fry,and every last one alive.:confused:

That's strange. I would think it was a weak batch of fish based on your info. Which store did you get them at?

Rummynose are sensitive at the best if times. Loosing a few in the beginning is normal. They should be fine at pH 7.4. Once they are established in a tank they are tough as nails.

Rummynose are sensitive at the best if times. Loosing a few in the beginning is normal. They should be fine at pH 7.4. Once they are established in a tank they are tough as nails.

This has been disheartening......I am going to try from another store....BUT...the store owner of this other location said he makes all his water...80% r/o and 20% tap...all I have is 100% tap....would that be hard to adjust without them all dying?

RO is cheaper than DI water which is probably why he does it. But do you have really hard water? That filtered water that you fill your own jugs at the grocery store is normally RO water and I pick mine up for $ .35. So super cheap just a pain to lug!
Now to your problem. Most tetras are delicate little fish. I have cardinals I had my first purchase of 10 lost 7, Next I bought 4 more, I lost 3, Then I bought 4 more and lost another 3. I swore I wouldn't buy another single fish! Replacing them seemed pointless So for 2 months I kept all 5 of the remaining tetras all through figuring out my bad unstable water conditions. My 5 little guys are fat and sassy! These delicate little fish lived in 8.8 PH liquid rock water! They even spent a weekend in a 5 gallon bucket when I had to replace my tank because of a broken center support. Once your get a good group you'll be good. It sounds like you did everything right just keep doing what your doing and eventually you will get a good group and yes they will be tough as nails!

RO is cheaper than DI water which is probably why he does it. But do you have really hard water? That filtered water that you fill your own jugs at the grocery store is normally RO water and I pick mine up for $ .35. So super cheap just a pain to lug!
Now to your problem. Most tetras are delicate little fish. I have cardinals I had my first purchase of 10 lost 7, Next I bought 4 more, I lost 3, Then I bought 4 more and lost another 3. I swore I wouldn't buy another single fish! Replacing them seemed pointless So for 2 months I kept all 5 of the remaining tetras all through figuring out my bad unstable water conditions. My 5 little guys are fat and sassy! These delicate little fish lived in 8.8 PH liquid rock water! They even spent a weekend in a 5 gallon bucket when I had to replace my tank because of a broken center support. Once your get a good group you'll be good. It sounds like you did everything right just keep doing what your doing and eventually you will get a good group and yes they will be tough as nails!

My Gh is 8 and Kh is 7, although I am so clueless if this is good or bad. When I test the gh/kh it is always the same for the past year. IDK....I have my fingers crossed with the dozen I ordered from this other store...he agreed to keep them a week then I can come pick them up...I am worried about them since I DO NOT have r/o water and he does.....

Back
Top Bottom