water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommysmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello people,
I've had my 6 little tetras in my little 6g tank now for a week, so it's water change time, I've been told 10% and 20%, this is a first for me so any advice is great, also been feeding them every other day, is this ok as we'll.
Thanks inadvance for any answers.

We have 2 Fluval Edge 6g tanks and you should do a 50% WC weekly. Small tanks can get high organic loads quickly and need a good WC weekly to keep water pristine.

You should warm the water and let it sit till it's at the desired temp. Rapid temperature changes could shock the fish. Are they neon tetras?

Neons shouldn't be placed in a 6g altogether. I feel that there isn't enough swimming space for a school. They may be small but they are very active and good water parameters. Which in a 6g is hard to control. Most people will recommend a 10,15 or 20g minimum.

If you could upgrade in a few months time I'm sure theyll be fine. Just keep up on your water changes.

Yeah, have been looking at bigger tanks, thought a small one was easier, should of come on here first, when I do upgrade what could live happy in my 6g.

Yeah, have been looking at bigger tanks, thought a small one was easier, should of come on here first, when I do upgrade what could live happy in my 6g.

Well or course it's limited but there's lots of colourful fish which could live in there:
Killifish
Endler guppies
Ember tetras
Chilli rasbora
Galaxy rasbora
Betta
Dwarf puffer.
2 male or female guppies
Shrimp
Snails
Obviously you couldnt do them altogether but you could put the betta with the snails and so forth. There's just what species tanks you could do.

I do need to get a good kit, I got the strips and a friend has told us not to use them, so that's on the shopping list, I did a water change about 4 hours ago, tested now and it seems ok, with the strips anyway, I'll do another test tomoro with the proper kit, should I be testing the water everyday to keep an eye on it, also due to pennys I'll have to wait till march for a new tank, but have seen a lovely 55g, will me little neons be ok till then, there great little things that come up to the front when I go near thinking they'll get fed ha ha.

Thanks all for the advice as well.

That much, wow, ok, it's a bit cold here, I know this is silly but should I warm the water first?

I just do a close match to the tank temp using my hand. Add Prime and pour in. If you let it sit it can cool too much.

Read the link provided earlier about cycling new tanks already stocked with fish.
It's a good read and a must for new hobbyists.

Back
Top Bottom