Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just read something that seemed to imply that you can put water stright from the facut into the tank when doing a water change and pore the declorinizer straight in the tank. Is this true? Sorry for these beginner questions. I've had tanks off and on for over 50 years, but the last 30 have all been salt where water preparation is much more detailed.

Yup you can do that i'm sure that's what most others do as well. Some add the amount of dechlorinator for as much water that they changed while others add for the entire tank. Personally I add for as much water that I've changed. So on a 40 gallon I usually do about 50% or 60% water changes so I add whatever the amount of dechlorinator I need for 20 gallons

You should declorinate the water before you add it to the tank. Why would you want to add to much of a chemical if you didn't have to.

You should declorinate the water before you add it to the tank. Why would you want to add to much of a chemical if you didn't have to.
if your changing 45 gallons that's a whole lotta buckets! Always dose the volume if the tank

No he's using a short cut, hose pipe from water tap straight into tank no buckets. Fish are exposed to untreated raw tap water for x amount of time until tank is treated.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently fill about 50 tanks directly from my tap when I'm doing water changes. Add the dechlorinator straight to the tank while it is filling up, dose for the volume of the tank. I've been doing it this way for over 10 years.

If it's something that I know is really delicate (like the chocolate gouramis I had for a while), or for a fry tank, I will generally premix the water. For general community tank applications, that isn't necessary.

Best case is to unchlorine new water into a bucket before throw it in the tank.

In my case I use a python water changer hose, so I add dechlorinator to the tank, fill with tap water at good temperature, then add another dose of dechlorinator. This create little PH swings, but none of my fishs died from that since long time.

If you do what you said, make sure to turn off filtration before you put tap water into the tank, or you'll kill the BBs.

I do weekly 50%WC doing this.

No, tap water does not nuke your bio filter on contact. Turn off your filters if you're worried about them running dry, but otherwise it really doesn't matter. If that were the case, I'd re-cycle about 40 tanks that are running on air driven sponge filters every time I do a water change.

I totally understand using this method for those having multiple tanks but when your in the position of just owning one tank I feel that I'd rather get the new water prepared outside of the tank to the best match of temperature and treat the water with 100% accuracy before adding. If you disagree with this that's fine I just want you to read my view point.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's cool, but I didn't always have this many tanks and even my discus weren't bothered by this method in the slightest. To each his/her own though. If something is outside of your comfort zone, it's not worth the stress.

That's cool, but I didn't always have this many tanks and even my discus weren't bothered by this method in the slightest. To each his/her own though. If something is outside of your comfort zone, it's not worth the stress.

+1
I do the hose into the tank as well for angels and discus.

WOW - 50 tanks

I currently fill about 50 tanks directly from my tap when I'm doing water changes. Add the dechlorinator straight to the tank while it is filling up, dose for the volume of the tank. I've been doing it this way for over 10 years.

If it's something that I know is really delicate (like the chocolate gouramis I had for a while), or for a fry tank, I will generally premix the water. For general community tank applications, that isn't necessary.
Awesome. Do you have any of your aquariums posted on youtube ... or your own youtube channel?

I use a water changer for my tanks as well. On my planted community I just turn the filter off during water change and dose for the entire volume. It's a perfectly safe practice. I can also get the temperature of the water within 1 - 2 degrees as well when using the hose. My tap also has a fairly high concentration of chlorine as it can be smelled in water straight from the tap.

When I'm filling my tanks my rasboras, rainbows, shrimp, and gourami all go play in the stream of fresh water. If the fresh tap water bugged them, they would keep away from it.

She does, find her thread on rebuilding our entire fishroom, and there will be links in there. Make sure to turn your volume down though, there blower sounds like a jet airliner.

Back
Top Bottom