Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philip0381

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Guys how often should i change my tanks water ? 6 gallon with 6 tiger barbs. Any answers would be appreciated.

Not to sound blunt but get a bigger tank. Water changes on a fish only tank should be performed in order to keep nitrates <40ppm, closer to 5-20ppm is best. Usually a weekly 25%+ is needed to achieve this, under normal stocking and normal cycled tanks.

If you so choose to keep those fish in an unsuitable tank, I would recommend 2 x 40-50% weekly water changes.

Guys how often should i change my tanks water ? 6 gallon with 6 tiger barbs. Any answers would be appreciated.

Because you have a 1:1 ration fish/gal you will have to do more frequent water changes.... this is a very high ratio that causes ammonia levels, nitrates and nitrites to be very high. (Large bioload).

You can combat this by 1) giving the fish a bigger tank or removing some of the fish.
Some other things you can do are adding houseplants to the aquarium and/or filter (google pothos), and feed only as much as they will eat. They will still poop.... a second filter like a sponge filter in addition to a regular filter will help.

Inbox me if I can help I am happy to! Rachel

that's a lot of poop and pp for such small quarters- you'll have to do a lot of water changes to stay on top of that- fortunately with a tank that size it's really easy lol

Six tiger babrb hmm. Six gallon is too small for them trust me.

To answer the question asked.. you should change 99% of the tanks water twice a day.
Or.. get a bigger tank;)

Never heard of a fish/gallon ratio. lol So I'd be better off with an oscar in a ten gallon (1:10) than 20 neons in a 20 gallon (1:1)? lol

I think that may be worse than the inch per gallon rule....

Philip as others have stated, 6 gallons is really too small for tiger barbs. I suggest you research your fish before buying them in the future. I'm afraid you'll have a lot of aggression issues. aqadvisor.com is a good starting place to play around with stocking ideas, however their suggestions aren't always accurate. It's best to get advice from real live folks who have actually kept those fish. As far as water changes go as long as you still have them in that tank, I'd guess ZxC was probably onto something with around 50% every few days.

Back
Top Bottom