Water change and temperature drop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemokeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a python and am going to siphon off (approx. 20 %) and vacuum the bottom of my tank. The python will also refill the tank apparently from the tap. But wont that change the tank temperature too much and hurt the fish? I am on city water and was going to ad conditioner to the tank when refilling.

Yes, you need to have the makeup water approximately the same temp so you don't shock the fish.

If you're pythoning from a faucet, use a faucet that you can adjust the water temp from, like your bathroom or kitchen sink.

As long as you get it close you will be fine with a small change like 20%. If you were doing 50% or greater than matching temps gets more important.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will put a bucket by the tank and run the fresh water over the thermometer to be on the safe side first. I guess I thought that the water out of the hot water tank would be unsuitable (not sure why) Tkos are you in Ontario?

Let the water run for a minute from both cold and hot taps before connecting the Python. This will get remove any metal-containing sediment that sometimes accumulates in the pipes. Add an appropriate amount of dechllorinator to the tank as you are filling it. Most dechlorinators contain chelating agents that bind and remove metal ions. If you do these things, there should really be no concern with using water from the hot water heater.

No, I am from Halifax.

The only thing I would worry about is whether or not your pipes are copper. If they are then how water pipes can grab some of that copper and bring it with them. Running the tap might not get rid of it all. While the copper isn't too harmful to fish it is to inverts so you wouldn't want to put snails or shrimp in there or try and keep a saltwater tank.

Also, chances are you'll be siphoning water out before you add (I hope! Else things could get messy LOL); consequently the water will be running for a while before you switch the Python to adding water. Being the horribly non-politically correct/non environmental/meat eating person I am, I run lukewarm water when I siphon, so the water has been running and has cleared out the pipes before I switch.

Excellent idea Allivymar about running the hot water while siphoning. I have yet to use the python. I am hoping it will vacuum the gravel well.

Oh you will lurve it nemo! The only gripe I have about is I bought it at a lfs and not online, so I spent too much LOL It does a great job, both pulling crud out of the gravel as well as getting fresh water back in, and I know my back is truly grateful. Just make sure the attachment bits are well secured, or you won't get a good seal/vaccum. I had to buy the metal hookup thingie (yeah, ok, I'm not good with technical terms LOL) cause I couldn't tighten the plastic one well enough at the tap. But I think I'm the only one who had that prob.

And I don't add dechlor prior; I add it in WITH the water coming from the tap into the tank. I have yet to see any deleterious effects, and in fact my angelfish are breeding regularly in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom