Water change,etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orionvierling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read in here about water changes,partial water changes,etc. My problem is that I am disabled and have enough trouble getting around my house much less hauling water. Any ideas on other ways to get it done? I am planning on getting a test kit next month(set income ya know) and hopefully that will help with it too. :)

Look into a Python or Aqueon water changer. They hook up to the sink and keep you from lugging buckets. If you can find a water bed pump (or just buy the part), you should be able to build one for less than the retail cost of one.

Many use python water changes or simply the garden hose to perform water changes. What I do is start a syphon from the tank to the garden. Drain the amount I want then connect the hose to the tap. Add dechlorinator to treat the entire volume of the tank then fill her up. Simple with no heavy lifting.

How long could the fish I have in my tank handle being in a 1 gallon tank? I don't know how long crowding them like that could last. Good ideas on that....I appreciate all the help. Time to get a python(I assume not the snake..LOL) and some garden hose....:>

Water Change Alternative

I read in here about water changes,partial water changes,etc. My problem is that I am disabled and have enough trouble getting around my house much less hauling water. Any ideas on other ways to get it done? I am planning on getting a test kit next month(set income ya know) and hopefully that will help with it too. :)

Hello orion...

There is a safe, healthy, creative, fun way of getting around changing the tank water. If you're interested, just let me know.

B

How long could the fish I have in my tank handle being in a 1 gallon tank? I don't know how long crowding them like that could last. Good ideas on that....I appreciate all the help. Time to get a python(I assume not the snake..LOL) and some garden hose....:>

Why would they need to be in a one gallon bowl? There is no need to remove the fish to do a PWC.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and use an Aqueon Water Changer and it is very easy as long as you have decent water pressure.

Why would they need to be in a one gallon bowl? There is no need to remove the fish to do a PWC.

I thought that adding water straight from the tap would do them harm. Especially since my tap water is pretty cold. Sorry....kinda new to this part....:>

You first adjust the temp of your water on your faucets, turn the valve that makes the water go to the tank instead of in the sink, then add the recommended dose of declor/water conditioner to the tank (dose enough for the size of the tank) and let the tank fill. At the end you can add another dose of declor. Been doing it that way for years, first in our ponds and now with using the Aqueon water changer.

I made a DIY water changer for under 20 bucks. Got the valves from a local hardware store. If you do a DIY though make sure the hose your using is food safe. Some hosing contains VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that could be harmful to fish. Mine is about 30 ft long.

Thank you all. I think I will have to see about getting an Aqueon next month and go that way. I really appreciate all the help...:>

The "Water Changeless" FW Tank

As long as it does not include adding jello powder to the tank I am in. Please...:)

Hello again orion...

Never heard of the Jell-O thing. Must be real messy.

I used to change out half the tank water in my planted tanks. Did it for years. Every week, 125 gallons of new water was carried up and down flights of stairs. Frankly, I got a little too old and for lack of a better word "stove up" to do it.

I researched a plant that would thrive with the roots under the water. Plants thrive on nitrogens, like ammonia (NO), nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3). See how I added a little chemistry lesson?

Anyway, the land plant is called "Chinese Evergreen". Aglaonema is the fancy name and it comes in varieties like Cutlass, Gemini, Modestum, etc. The plants are very cheap, You rinse off all the potting mixture and emerse the roots in the tank water, with the leaves above.

This sounds like it can't work, but the plant roots take in nutrients from the dissolved plant and animal waste and the water stays pure and crystal clear. No water changes necessary. You can have a little standard mechanical filtration, but it's not necessary. You just need to emerse several plants.

There is one maintenance step. Because the tank is open, to allow the plant leaves to be above the water to take in CO2 from the air, you'll have to replace any water lost to evaporation. The larger the tank, the more evaporation.

That's the "skinny". The tank has a very different look, but I love not having to do the large, weekly water changes. The fish provide the nitrogen for the plants and the plants use it so quickly, the water stays totally pure for the fish. So, "0" ammonia and nitrites. Last time I tested one of the tanks, the nitrates were at 5 ppm.

B

Back
Top Bottom