Water change frequency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been around and reading for a couple years now. I thought I had always read that smaller frequent changes were better because they are less disruptive to water paramaters. Twice in the last week I have seen people on this site say that bigger changes once a week are better than smaller multiple changes in a week.

I know there are different levels of expertise and many opinions out there.

I need clarification because I am considering to going to two 25-30% changes per week vs. one 50%.

Which way is better and what are your reasons for thinking so?

i personally do 3-4 25% changes a week, just cause i dont mind doing it and a single bucket change on a 20G is very simple, plus my GBRs appreciate a lower nitrate reading thus more changes are needed

I am not as religious about wcs as serious fancy goldfish breeders (100% daily) but I do follow a hefty wc schedule- 50-70% atleast 2x a week. Healthier the water, the healthier the fish & the more stable your parameters. Obviously, everyone has different opinions & you will need to decide what works the best for your situation.

I'm currently doing 25% daily because my tank wasnt cycled like I thought it was. Once I'm fully cycled I will be doing 2 25% weekly's just to keep it well maintained :)

I do, hmm, about 30-50% weekly. It usually depends how patient I am waiting for the water to drain that week, but no less then 30%.

More water change = good thing. I do around 50% every week.

Two 25% water change is not as good as one 50% water change per week.

Terrance said:
More water change = good thing. I do around 50% every week.

Two 25% water change is not as good as one 50% water change per week.

Can I ask, why is one 50% better than two staggered 25% pwcs, just curious.

I test my water a lot and let my NitrAtes level determine my shedule...most of my tanks are done at a 50% every fourth day. My fish do not seem to mind water changes on a regular basis.

Can I ask, why is one 50% better than two staggered 25% pwcs, just curious.

Lets say you are about to do back to back pwc.
When you do the first 25% pwc, you add the new water to the tank and dilute it with old tank water. When you go do the second 25% pwc, you don't take out as much old water because you will also take out some of the new water.

Terrance said:
Lets say you are about to do back to back pwc.
When you do the first 25% pwc, you add the new water to the tank and dilute it with old tank water. When you go do the second 25% pwc, you don't take out as much old water because you will also take out some of the new water.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks :)

I do at least one sometimes two 20% or 50% water changes a week. The point is to do water changes as many/often as you can depending on your personal schedule and depending on your tanks parameters. Most of if not all of our tanks are closed loop systems unlike in a river, lake, or ocean where nature replaces waste water, and other important minerals 24/7. That is why it is improtant to do reqular water changes in our tanks not only to remove waste but to replenish minerals and buffers that to a degree is found in tap and well water which both fish and plants benefit from.

I do one 50% a week on my 55 and one 25% on my ten the frequency and size depends on the amount of fish you have and the rate that your nitrates climb.

Back
Top Bottom