Water Change in Non Fish Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often would you change water in a tank with no fish that only housed shrimp and snails? Would water changes be the same or do shrimp and snails produce less waste than fish? Just a thought.

I would initially think less, as they produce less waste. One thing to keep in mind would be that the changes get out a lot of the left over food, shrimp sheddings, etc.

I would think though you could do it half as often if you don't have a silly amount of snails or shrimp.

Are you fertilizing? If you're doing heavy fertilizing (EI method or some such), you probably need to do changes as regularly as you would for a well stocked fishy tank.

I would continue with 50% weekly if it were my tank. Right now I have an angel and a candy stripe pleco in the 29. Very low bio load. I still do 50% weekly water changes even though I don't "need" to. Snails require minerals that is in the water to produce a healthy shell.

I have a shrimp and snail tank and they get 50% weekly changes, just like everyone else. They are breeding and eating well.

Back
Top Bottom