Water change query...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

Great news! Got my 450 litre aquarium up and running and it looks beautiful!:dance:

The only problem I am having now is doing my water changes as the tank is so big. I have to stand on a step ladder! I was doing twice weekly water changes with my 180 litre because it was unfortunately overstocked but now my tank is big enough, how often should I be changing the water?

Water parameters

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
PH - 7.8
Nitrate - 10 -20ppm

450 Juwel Vision with built in filtration
Additional filter (from old tank for added bacteria and as a back up for hospital tank)
1 x white ranchu
1 x red cap oranda
1 x common goldfish
1 x panda moor
1x calico ryukin
1 x leopard pleco

There seems to be some debate on the net as some people say a fully cycled tank doesn't need to have water changed that often. Others say you should still change water weekly. I am now very confused :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help as always :thanks:

Also, consider getting a Python or Aqueon's water changer if you don't have one already. They make water changes on those big tanks so much easier.

IMO...I would stay with the weekly pwc, if you look at nature, they are doing water changes constantly, and if you have a stagnant pond, not much lives there. Just the way I look at it

I agree with Mumma, I would try to stick to around 50% a week to keep nitrates under control, removed dissolved solids and restore buffers & other minerals necessary for healthy fish. Congrats on the new tank! :)

Ah ok! lol Thanks so much JLK. Your help (as always) is much appreciated. If you can help me with my other query (red cap orandas wen) please let me know. Thanks xx

Back
Top Bottom