Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

water change question

I accidentally posted my question in saltwater, opps anyone who can delete it there may do so, but here is my questions...

ok newbie dumb questions im sure but I would rather ask and know then be sorry later.

I know that soap is bad for the fishtank, I ahve 2 pails that I intend to use for my water change this evening, they were once just multi purpose pails that were used for cleaning, ive given them a good wash with hot water, and no soap.

will they be ok to use?

they are the biggest pails I could find, I intend to change about half of my water.

I cant really tell you how much ammonia is in my tank I hate to say, because i bought some strips but they dont say the ammonia

just ph and nitrite and nitrate, since I see none of the above im assuming there MUST be some ammonia in there

im hoping to go tomorrow morning and get something to help me quantify how much ammonia might be in there.

any thoughts, opinions?

thanks

Dee

Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would be leary about using anything that has had any kind of cleaning fluids in it, but then I tend to over do things. As for your water testing pick up an API master test kit for freshwater. It tests everyting and is a lot more accurate than the strips.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 for the API Master Test Kit. Has, just about, everything you need and is much more accurate then the strips.

For taking water out you can use any bucket you like, doesn't matter what it had it in. Just don't swish your media in a contaminated bucket. For putting water back in I suggest the five gallon jugs you can get at WalMart next to the water dispenser machine.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

spend $10 and get 2 new buckets
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
spend $10 and get 2 new buckets
+1 better safe than sorry!
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com