water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbouchard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I accidentally posted my question in saltwater, opps anyone who can delete it there may do so, but here is my questions...

ok newbie dumb questions im sure but I would rather ask and know then be sorry later.

I know that soap is bad for the fishtank, I ahve 2 pails that I intend to use for my water change this evening, they were once just multi purpose pails that were used for cleaning, ive given them a good wash with hot water, and no soap.

will they be ok to use?

they are the biggest pails I could find, I intend to change about half of my water.

I cant really tell you how much ammonia is in my tank I hate to say, because i bought some strips but they dont say the ammonia

just ph and nitrite and nitrate, since I see none of the above im assuming there MUST be some ammonia in there

im hoping to go tomorrow morning and get something to help me quantify how much ammonia might be in there.

any thoughts, opinions?

thanks

Dee

I would be leary about using anything that has had any kind of cleaning fluids in it, but then I tend to over do things. As for your water testing pick up an API master test kit for freshwater. It tests everyting and is a lot more accurate than the strips.

+1 for the API Master Test Kit. Has, just about, everything you need and is much more accurate then the strips.

For taking water out you can use any bucket you like, doesn't matter what it had it in. Just don't swish your media in a contaminated bucket. For putting water back in I suggest the five gallon jugs you can get at WalMart next to the water dispenser machine.

Back
Top Bottom