Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Centaurnut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I do a 10-12 gallon water change on my 55 gal. freshwater tank once a week. The tank has been set up for 4 months & is stocked with guppies, neon tetras, platies, otos, danios, shrimp, gouramis, etc. My question is, instead of hauling large buckets of water in & out does anyone think it would hurt to slowly refill my tank with an RV type hose (NOT a garden hose!) attached to my sink and add dechlorinator directly into my tank? I've been filling buckets & adding dechlorinator then letting it stand overnight but toting all this water is killing my bad back! Thanks, Rick.

I use an Aqueon Water Changer and it's great. Same principle as your talking about. Before filling you declor the tank directly and with the amount that is required to declor the entire tank. Then after filling repeat the declor. Been doing that for years. Just be sure when using a water changer to set your water temp so the incoming water is a close match to the tank water. My biggest tank is a 220g and I do 50% WC's in all my tanks weekly.

I use an Aqueon Water Changer and it's great. Same principle as your talking about. Before filling you declor the tank directly and with the amount that is required to declor the entire tank. Then after filling repeat the declor. Been doing that for years. Just be sure when using a water changer to set your water temp so the incoming water is a close match to the tank water. My biggest tank is a 220g and I do 50% WC's in all my tanks weekly.
Do you mean add enough dechlor to treat 55 gallons, or just enough for the 10 gallons I'm adding?

Water Changes

I do a 10-12 gallon water change on my 55 gal. freshwater tank once a week. The tank has been set up for 4 months & is stocked with guppies, neon tetras, platies, otos, danios, shrimp, gouramis, etc. My question is, instead of hauling large buckets of water in & out does anyone think it would hurt to slowly refill my tank with an RV type hose (NOT a garden hose!) attached to my sink and add dechlorinator directly into my tank? I've been filling buckets & adding dechlorinator then letting it stand overnight but toting all this water is killing my bad back! Thanks, Rick.

Hello C...

I keep several 55 G tanks and can tell you, a 10-12 gallon water change every week isn't good enough to maintain stable water conditions, regardless of the fish load. You need to be changing out half the water, if you want to guarantee pure water conditions.

I've done the bucket routine for years. 125 gallons per week, up and down stairs, for my tanks and that way gets old. You can definitely attach a hose to the faucet and adjust the tap water to close to that in the tank and add the appropriate amount of water treatment as the tank fills.

Here's a tip: Up your water changes and make the new water a bit warmer and your fish will appreciate the cleaner tank. Afterall, the tank is just an "unflushed toilet". If you did all your "business" in the water you lived in, how much and how often would you want the water changed???

Just a thought, you're the "Waterkeeper".

B

From my reasearch I thought 20 to 30 percent was enough. I had my water checked at Petsmart last week right before a change & my nitrates were at 20. Everything else zero.I had it checked because I've been losing Mystery snails, but I think thats because I treated what I thought was ich with Coppersafe Petsmart reccomended! Yeah, I know, I screwed up! Multiple water changes, several charcoal bag changes & my snails still die. And it turned out it wasn't even ich! Funny thing though, my glass & cherry shrimp & MTS are fine. Anyway, I'll take your advice and up my change amount. Thanks for the tip!

If Walmart does water testing with strips they aren't very accurate and can sometimes be wildly off. You'd do best buying your own API Master Test Kit and doing your own testing. Just something to think about.

By doing a large WC weekly your guaranteed to keep your water alot more pristine and nutrient levels low.

From my reasearch I thought 20 to 30 percent was enough. I had my water checked at Petsmart last week right before a change & my nitrates were at 20. Everything else zero.I had it checked because I've been losing Mystery snails, but I think thats because I treated what I thought was ich with Coppersafe Petsmart reccomended! Yeah, I know, I screwed up! Multiple water changes, several charcoal bag changes & my snails still die. And it turned out it wasn't even ich! Funny thing though, my glass & cherry shrimp & MTS are fine. Anyway, I'll take your advice and up my change amount. Thanks for the tip!

You can also try a copper remover, like seachem's cupramine(check spelling). As far as the water changer goes, it was some of the best money spent for me in this hobby, makes it so much easier. And you just treat the entire tank before you add the new water, though you can safely dose prime 5x the recommended dose without harming your fish, but both before and after isn't needed

It's actually recommended to treat before and after so that after filling if any chlorine/etc. isn't treated in the pre-treatment the after treatment will catch it. I'm a better safe than sorry person anyway.

I use the python brand vs the aqueon, works the same. I just use a dechlorinator (prime) and only treat the water volume I change instead the actual tank volume size. I've done this for years. The water in the tank has already been treated so why treat again. I get longer use of the product.

I had my water tested at Petsmart. I HAVE some strips that came with the goodies the guy gave me when I bought the tank & have been using them, but was leery of them. Everything always showed to be in the ideal range & nothings EVER ideal when I mess with it. Next time I hit Petsmart I'll get some Seachem & Prime, & pick up a test kit. Thanks for the help! Rick.

Back
Top Bottom