Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this a good amount of water to take out for a PWC?

Attachments

• image-439424875.jpg
    image-439424875.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 97
It is recomended to do at least 50%. I do 80% on my tanks weekly. But depending on your stock you can do 25%.

Like i mention before depending on your stock yoy can change your water. How often do you test your water?

Yep exactly, it depends on what fish youre keeping and their bioload and how clean they need the water and how sensitive theyre to nitrates.

I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon African cichlid tank (mixed) 35+ cichlids.

3 clown loaches
2 CAE
4 botia loaches
1 synodontis
1 feather fin
1 pleco

I run 2 AC110's and a power head. Koralia 1400

I do a 20-25% water change weekly and once a month I do a 50%.

Check my video out. Link is in my sig! :)

Yes stock comes into play as well as filtration. Also feeding. If you have more then adequate filtration, you don't over feed and water parameters can hold, a 25% water change should be fine.

I did a test once. I didn't change my water for 2 weeks and my nitrAtes were CRAZY high. Now I know I can't skip a week.

Is that all you do convict? Thats Kool, i would of guessed at more.

Yup! I don't even turn anything off when I do my weekly water changes. Well... I turn my power head off but I don't let it go below the intake of my filters. Once a month a shut everything down and do a 50%.

I've done 90%+ water changes (two 75% back to back) without any harm to the fish. For all of our fretting about shocking fish with water changes, I've yet to see someone actually kill a fish with a water change. Assuming there isn't a dramatic shift in water parameters between water changes, you're basically exchanging water with similar parameters (although nitrate might be higher, I think that it's a minor contribution). The only time you run awry with this is if you have neglected a tank such that the parameters have swung away from your tap's, as in 'old tank syndrome'.

I've done 90%+ water changes (two 75% back to back) without any harm to the fish. For all of our fretting about shocking fish with water changes, I've yet to see someone actually kill a fish with a water change.

I have to agree. In fact just two days ago I completely drained the tank to about an inch of water, switched out my driftwood, stirred up the sand, moved plants and then filled it back up and put the fish back in. This isn't the first time I've done this and haven't lost a fish yet because of it.

Fish are most sensitive to large temperature changes from what I understand. Make sure to temperature match and add declorinator and you should be fine.

Fish are most sensitive to large temperature changes from what I understand. Make sure to temperature match and add declorinator and you should be fine.

Ph swings are bad and temperature swings also youre right. Its much more dangerous for the temp to swing lower than higher. A change from 24 to 20 would be far worse than 24 to 28 but getting matching temp isnt difficult even by just using your hand.

I've never drained my ya k down that low, never saw the reason to, if parameters don't warrant such an extreme water change I don't do it.

I will however be probably a 75% water change after the battle with ich is over.

Ph swings are bad and temperature swings also youre right. Its much more dangerous for the temp to swing lower than higher. A change from 24 to 20 would be far worse than 24 to 28 but getting matching temp isnt difficult even by just using your hand.

Yes PH swings are bad but if you do weekly wcs the PH should be pretty stable.

Back
Top Bottom