Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd stop adding salt and go with your water changer, no more buckets. The salt will decrease gradually. I promise, neither the fish nor you will miss it.

I also learned the aging water and adding salt way of managing a tank long ago. I had an under gravel filter and (gasp!) corydoras and a Siamese algae eater. They were all fine. But, I was only using a couple spoons in a 30 and only adding a little to the replacement water. BTW, aging was to gas off chlorine. Now they use chloramine and it doesn't gas off anyway so water conditioner is the right call. And yeah, instant! Ah, the wonders of changing technology.

BTW, my tap water is moderately hard. I'm sure the fish here get plenty of minerals and salts in trace amounts. If you were using RO or very soft water, I could understand additives. But salt for salt's sake? Nah.

Using salt is a choice, for certain. It was recommended for my Livebearers several years ago when I started the water keeping hobby and when I introduced Corydoras about 6 years ago, I just kept using it. Aquarium plants adapt as well as fish to a bit of salt. My planted tanks look very healthy, so I continue to use a rounded teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water and change out half the water every 1 to 2 weeks. Some of the Corys are close to 6 years old.

Salt keeps the gill tissues healthy and protects the skin and heals injuries. It detoxifies nitrites and has a general calming effect on the fish. Standard aquarium salt has much more to it than just sodium chloride. It has electrolytes necessary for general body function and a healthy immune system. The same can be said for maintaining healthy plants.

It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't be without it in my planted tanks.

B

+1 this is actually true. Mollys especially can thrive if salt is added.

Why do you recommend treating the whole tank with prime not just the new water added?

When a hose coming from the faucet is used to fill the tank there is no way to treat the water before, so the Prime or de-chlorinator is added to the tank first.

I say take your time, feel the bucket with water and prime and then pour. What's the damage other than a little patience!

All of you have great responses. Thank you all so much

Another +1 to doing my WC right in the tank. Python it out, add prime for the whole tank to the tank, python new water in.
Unlike others mentioning using warmer water, I purposely put in water a few degrees cooler than the tank, to simulate the cool rain of a rainfall. Rivercats (a veteran member whose opinion I greatly respect) taught me that. My fish are always so active after a water change. I keep my tank at 78 but WC in 76.

Back
Top Bottom