Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I've had my aquariums, I have always prepared my water a day or 2 ahead of time in buckets. I add aquarium salt and dechlorinater. I recently acquired a siphon that hooks up to a faucet. So now draining my tank is much faster and less messy. My question is. Is i ok for me to refill it using the faucet as well, and just add dechlorinater to my main tank? My local fish store does it this way and they say that they just add prime after. That the important thing is to match temperature. Also that he has not suffered any casualties using this method. I'm a bit skeptical about this method and wanted to know what all of you think. Thanks in advance.

Water Changes

Since I've had my aquariums, I have always prepared my water a day or 2 ahead of time in buckets. I add aquarium salt and dechlorinater. I recently acquired a siphon that hooks up to a faucet. So now draining my tank is much faster and less messy. My question is. Is i ok for me to refill it using the faucet as well, and just add dechlorinater to my main tank? My local fish store does it this way and they say that they just add prime after. That the important thing is to match temperature. Also that he has not suffered any casualties using this method. I'm a bit skeptical about this method and wanted to know what all of you think. Thanks in advance.

Hello Mar...

New water doesn't have to age. You can refill from the faucet and add the appropriate amount of water treatment to the tank as it fills. The treatment works on contact with the new water.

Adding the aquarium salt is a bit different. You shouldn't drop granules into the tank. You'll need to dissolve the salt in a half gallon or so of your treated tap water and pour that mixture along the length of the tank. I typically dose no more than a rounded teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water.

I like to make the new water a bit warmer than that in the tank. The fish really perk up during the water change when they feel the pure, somewhat warmer water. If you keep livebearers, this can encourage the females to drop their fry if they're close to birthing.

B

Hello Mar...

New water doesn't have to age. You can refill from the faucet and add the appropriate amount of water treatment to the tank as it fills. The treatment works on contact with the new water.

Adding the aquarium salt is a bit different. You shouldn't drop granules into the tank. You'll need to dissolve the salt in a half gallon or so of your treated tap water and pour that mixture along the length of the tank. I typically dose no more than a rounded teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water.

I like to make the new water a bit warmer than that in the tank. The fish really perk up during the water change when they feel the pure, somewhat warmer water. If you keep livebearers, this can encourage the females to drop their fry if they're close to birthing.

B

+1. You can add the dechlorinator to the tank and then add the water.

Match temp and add prime or what ever you use but treat for entire tank size not amount removed.Also shut off filters so there is no chance of untreated water getting in them. After you refill just wait like 5 min and start filters and heater back up.

That sounds great! So the fresh water should not immediately kill them then. Thank you all so much.

When I do a big water change, I use a hose right from the faucet into the tank, adding the proper amount of de-chlorinator or Prime to the tank first, making sure the water feels the same temperature as the water in the tank.

May I ask why you use salt in your tank?

When I do a big water change, I use a hose right from the faucet into the tank, adding the proper amount of de-chlorinator or Prime to the tank first, making sure the water feels the same temperature as the water in the tank.

Do it this way. Dose with prime for the entire tank volume. No need for salt in freshwater aquarium.

I just got the python for this and so far so good..I add the prime as I am filling using a syringe. Just drops at a time. This has been the past 2 weeks, about 30% water change each day(fish in cycling) no problems, fish still happy and active. Hope it helps...trust me, I know the pain of buckets. Trying to do this without it would have just killed me by now. Plus what took 2 hours now takes 15 minutes.

Hooo! A fish-in cycle on a 55 gallon! You are one committed person. That would kill me I think!:lol:

Trust me.. It has. But the python made it manageable..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I add aquarium salt (not marine salt). It's supposed to create a good slime coat and improve gill function. It's about 1 tbs per 5 gallons. I just thought, why not?

I just got the python for this and so far so good..I add the prime as I am filling using a syringe. Just drops at a time. This has been the past 2 weeks, about 30% water change each day(fish in cycling) no problems, fish still happy and active. Hope it helps...trust me, I know the pain of buckets. Trying to do this without it would have just killed me by now. Plus what took 2 hours now takes 15 minutes.

Thank you, it is a major pain.

I add aquarium salt (not marine salt). It's supposed to create a good slime coat and improve gill function. It's about 1 tbs per 5 gallons. I just thought, why not?

Some fish don't like salt. Scaleless fish like Cory cats. I've read even neons don't like salt and it can affect your plants if you have any.

Do it this way. Dose with prime for the entire tank volume. No need for salt in freshwater aquarium.

Why do you recommend treating the whole tank with prime not just the new water added?

Just to make sure you're adding enough prime. Do you really know how many gallons you take out with the python so you can treat that much going back in? Prime is cheap and super concentrated and some extra prime in the water never hurt anything.

I wouldn't recommend using salt unless it's specifically to treat something. It's just not necessary and like was said before, some fish are very sensitive as well as plants.

Salt in Fresh Water Tanks

Using salt is a choice, for certain. It was recommended for my Livebearers several years ago when I started the water keeping hobby and when I introduced Corydoras about 6 years ago, I just kept using it. Aquarium plants adapt as well as fish to a bit of salt. My planted tanks look very healthy, so I continue to use a rounded teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water and change out half the water every 1 to 2 weeks. Some of the Corys are close to 6 years old.

Salt keeps the gill tissues healthy and protects the skin and heals injuries. It detoxifies nitrites and has a general calming effect on the fish. Standard aquarium salt has much more to it than just sodium chloride. It has electrolytes necessary for general body function and a healthy immune system. The same can be said for maintaining healthy plants.

It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't be without it in my planted tanks.

B

Back
Top Bottom