Water Change Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerky

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone does on a water change.

I have a 20G tank. I have a 3 gallon bucket I use. So draining out 6 gallons is no problem. My question is when I add 2 bucket fulls back to the aquarium, I put the dechlorination into the bucket itself before I add it to the tank.

Is that a proper way to do it? I have been doing it for over a year now. Or do you add all the water to the aquarium and then treat the whole aquarium?

I am switching to Prime and I know it has a lot of benefits to the whole aquarium, just wondering if its smart to treat the whole aquarium with Prime on every change.

Thanks in advance!

I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone does on a water change.

I have a 20G tank. I have a 3 gallon bucket I use. So draining out 6 gallons is no problem. My question is when I add 2 bucket fulls back to the aquarium, I put the dechlorination into the bucket itself before I add it to the tank.

Is that a proper way to do it? I have been doing it for over a year now. Or do you add all the water to the aquarium and then treat the whole aquarium?

I am switching to Prime and I know it has a lot of benefits to the whole aquarium, just wondering if its smart to treat the whole aquarium with Prime on every change.

Thanks in advance!

Either way is perfectly fine. Many people use a python to drain into their sink directly from the tank and then fill straight from tap. They typically dose the entire volume of the aquarium during a water change

How would something like that drain into a sink?

I don't believe my aquarium is higher then my sink.

Interesting device. The bucket is working okay for me now, but perhaps in the future I will look into this. Especially when I get my 110 gallon!

Interesting device. The bucket is working okay for me now, but perhaps in the future I will look into this. Especially when I get my 110 gallon!

They are almost necessary when you're working with larger tanks :)

Ohh yeah, for sure. I can get away with it with a 20 gallon. Anything larger I agree.

Going by the bucket yeah just treat the bucket.

With a python you have no choice but to treat the whole tank.

IMO Prime is overrated unless you're having a toxic issue. There's stuff a healthy tank doesn't need and absence of benefits other Dechlorinators have. I love API stress coat, since the aloe actually serves a purpose and is researched in fish and other animals.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Well I needed to purchase new de-chlorination, so I just figured I would get the Seachem product. I really like their products. I used their plant ferts and I also had to use Stability a couple of times with great success.

I will probably only use Seachem products from now on.

Just a side note on the Python.. Instead of using running water to suck just water (not gravel clean), it is wise to invest on a pump to pump water out directly to the sink. But this is for really large tanks.

It's kind of a waste to throw clean water out like this, and those with well water don't have an unlimited supply of water, before water comes back.

Just a side note on the Python.. Instead of using running water to suck just water (not gravel clean), it is wise to invest on a pump to pump water out directly to the sink.

It's kind of a waste to throw clean water out like this, and those with well water don't have an unlimited supply of water, before water comes back.
Ive been letting gravity drain the water into my garden. Lots of fertilizer in that water.

I'm not able to use a Python because it won't connect to my faucet. I use buckets and I had Prime directly in to the bucket before I put the water into the tank.

There should be an adaptor for it out there somewhere.

It won't work with my bathroom faucet neither. The tip is sunken inside the faucet and I'm not about to screw it on. Works on kitchen faucet thought.

Back
Top Bottom