Water change suggestions for newly cycled 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian.saylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55g tank finally finished cycling after 9 weeks. Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, Nitrate is 5ppm, pH is ~7.4 and the temp is 78.2. I have driftwood that is still leaching Tannins into the water, and would like to do a pwc to clear some of the tannins.

Being this close to the end of the cycle, would a 25% pwc cause the tank to start a cycle again? How long should I wait to vacuum the substrate (it's looking a bit grungy from not touching it during the tank cycle).

You would be good doing a 25% water change. I'd probably wait on the gravel vac for another week. Or do a 1/3 gravel vac then another 1/3 next week and so on until it's all vacuumed.

Your Tank

My 55g tank finally finished cycling after 9 weeks. Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, Nitrate is 5ppm, pH is ~7.4 and the temp is 78.2. I have driftwood that is still leaching Tannins into the water, and would like to do a pwc to clear some of the tannins.

Being this close to the end of the cycle, would a 25% pwc cause the tank to start a cycle again? How long should I wait to vacuum the substrate (it's looking a bit grungy from not touching it during the tank cycle).

Hello bri...

As long as you have a nitrogen source, your bacteria colony will continue to grow. Having fish in there is the standard source of nitrogen. You feed the fish and they do their business in the water. You remove and replace half the water weekly before the waste builds up and the fish are guaranteed a healthy environment.

Pretty simple.

B

Back
Top Bottom