Water Change/Treatment Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I've been hearing that the python is a great thing, but doesn't this mean that water goes into the tank without first being treated?

I'm curious, if I were to run a hose from the sink into the tank (beats using buckets for a 29g and having to treat first) wouldn't the chlorine hurt the fish? Would they be okay until I treated it?

I am actually thinking the same thing. I am going to research them and will let you know what I find.

I have the aqueon version of the python and I remove tank water, add water conditioner to the tank, and then add fresh water.

Wait, so you use extra conditioner in the water that's already there, just enough for the water you're putting in?

Most people who own a python (or the equivalent) wouldn't give it up unless under threat of death.

I don't think I have ever seen someone disappointed for buying one.

If you treat the tank before adding the water, it will be fine. The danger of chlorine is removed almost instantly when conditioner is used properly.

Most people who own a python (or the equivalent) wouldn't give it up unless under threat of death.

I don't think I have ever seen someone disappointed for buying one.

I don't think I would be, but how do you condition the water?

Never heard that either. I would have thought even with dosing the tank first, the mass amounts of chlorinated water coming in would be able to affect the fish negatively

I would be worried about the fish and the biowheel, even with pre-dosing. I want one though, at least for syphoning!

The viability of a Python or the Aqueon version is largely dependant on your water source. For example, my friends and I who live in about the same area have to aerate our water for 2-4 hours to remove the gas buffer and drop the PH to from 10 down to 7.6. For us, the Python is little more than a convenient way to vac the gravel, since piping water directly into the tank, even if the tank was already pre-treated with Prime, would most likely cause a disastrous PH swing.

If your tap PH and tank are the same though, then you're golden.

Just add enough Prime for the total amount of the tank, not the amount you're replacing. Slowly pour it in, swish it around really good, and slowly refill. I also turn off my filter while refilling so the Prime has time to detoxify the tap water.

eco23 said:
Just add enough Prime for the total amount of the tank, not the amount you're replacing. Slowly pour it in, swish it around really good, and slowly refill. I also turn off my filter while refilling so the Prime has time to detoxify the tap water.

+1

If you turn off the filter, not chlorine can reach the biomedia.

Back
Top Bottom