Water Changer ate my Cory!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've looked down in my bucket after doing a water change and seen a guppy. I netted him out and put him back in. But I'm not sure where he came from. I have two tanks that have guppies.

Pleco

When I was transfering tanks from my 20 to my 55 I took and ornament out and sat it on a paper towel and when I came back to pick it up my golden albino bristle nose Pleco fell right on top of my hand! I felt bad and hoped that he would be okay when I put him in the tank and sure enough he is still alive one year later!:)

My goldies&koi won't stay away from the suction tube, but as others have said, they've swum right in before and turned around and swum back out (Before they got too big to even fit in the vacuum tube), while it was going at full. Difference between products I guess, the couple foot long hand pump vacuums and whatever everyone else is using.

But this thread has warned me, I'll definitely never do a water change straight down the drain once I move up from vacuuming into big rubbermaid bins like I do now! I'll always make sure there's a net someplace.

I now have a trio of cories and they must have learned not to go near it because they fly to the other side of the tank from the vacuum.

This thread reminds me of why I think it's a good idea to use white buckets for water changes. I know it's a pain in the you-know-what to drag buckets full of dirty water throughout the house, but if a fish wants to go tube surfing, I'm going to catch him before I discard the water. My vacuum is so old that it's not even see-through anymore, so this is a must.

David

The fix is fairly simple... I place a net over the drain. There is no need to lug buckets
Bigbanker,

Are you trying to mess up my weekly exercise regimen? I hang the buckets on the ends of a curl bar and do 10 sets of 12 repititons. You should see how big my biceps have gotten in the last 19 years!

David

A little over a month ago one of my zebra loaches went missing. I tore the tank up looking for him, and there was no sign of him. I assumed I had dumped him with the old water. But like 3 weeks later I turned on the light and saw all three of them. He's slowly starting to come out more regularly. I don't know what happened, maybe the rearrangement of the tank stressed him out.

Bigbanker,

Are you trying to mess up my weekly exercise regimen? I hang the buckets on the ends of a curl bar and do 10 sets of 12 repititons. You should see how big my biceps have gotten in the last 19 years!

David

Haha! Strong man! I won't do that to you then.

I wish my cory showed back up, I have gotten 2 more. I now have a nice trio, couple bronze and 1 albino. Plus 1 spotted, 1 juli cory and 1 false cory. I need to rehome a few cories. I'd like to put a couple into my 20 high. Should I move the albino and maybe 2 bronze? Can a trio be happy in a 20 high?

Well you never know. I just assumed my loach was gone and moved on. I was upset at first but then I figured I wouldn't dwell on it. Then 3 weeks later he was back. I had to look a few times to make sure I wasn't just seeing things.

Back
Top Bottom