Water Changer+ Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, i am thinking of investing in a water changer, possibly an Aqueon. I wanted to get some advice on dechlorinating the water. I know some people dose with prime or equivalent before AND after water. I know this is the safest and probably the correct thing to do. I was wondering if i could do it just the once, either before or after??. The reason i ask is, i have to import the Prime, $30 for a 250ml, so it's quite expensive and i would like make it last twice as long if possible. What do you do????
All advice/opinions welcome and appreciated... Thanks, Ian
PS... Anyone know the inside dimensions(mm) of the hose that comes with the Aqueon???

I use the aqueon water changer and prime and all I do is pretreat the tank with prime before the water change and I don't do it after. A 250ml of prime typically lasts me about 3-4 months and that's with a 50% weekly water change on a 75 gallon tank.

Hey, i am thinking of investing in a water changer, possibly an Aqueon. I wanted to get some advice on dechlorinating the water. I know some people dose with prime or equivalent before AND after water. I know this is the safest and probably the correct thing to do. I was wondering if i could do it just the once, either before or after??. The reason i ask is, i have to import the Prime, $30 for a 250ml, so it's quite expensive and i would like make it last twice as long if possible. What do you do????
All advice/opinions welcome and appreciated... Thanks, Ian
PS... Anyone know the inside dimensions(mm) of the hose that comes with the Aqueon???

I just switched over to using prime as my water change treatment. What i do is remove some of the old water up to 30%, then dose the tank with prime enough to treat the whole tank, then fill the tank up to capacity with the water changer. If you treat with prime before you remove the water you are defeating the purpose. I may have misunderstood your question in that regard though, but i only treat once per water change and that is after the old water is removed and right before adding the new.

I just switched over to using prime as my water change treatment. What i do is remove some of the old water up to 30%, then dose the tank with prime enough to treat the whole tank, then fill the tank up to capacity with the water changer. If you treat with prime before you remove the water you are defeating the purpose. I may have misunderstood your question in that regard though, but i only treat once per water change and that is after the old water is removed and right before adding the new.
Thanks Piao, you didn't mis-understand the question at all. I meant to say..."I know some people dose with prime or equivalent after they remove old water AND again after they add new water"-->As in, dosing the full tank twice. Once after they remove the old water and dosing the full tank again after adding their new water...So two full tank doses
Sorry for the confusion, i should have made the question clearer!!!!

I personally only dose the amount that was replaced vs whole tank volume. The water in the tank has already been treated so why waste. I've never had a problem doing this dosing amount. Also, I just add to stream of water change tube.

I personally only dose the amount that was replaced vs whole tank volume. The water in the tank has already been treated so why waste. I've never had a problem doing this dosing amount. Also, I just add to stream of water change tube.

I do the same ^^

."I know some people dose with prime or equivalent after they remove old water AND again after they add new water"

That just seems wholly unnecessary.

I think you dose full tank volume vs WC volume because if you dose according to the entire tank, you're relatively assured to have neutralized all the chloramines before they hit your filter, as opposed to if it's at a 1:1 ratio of neutralizer to chloramines, where it could take some time to fully react.

I only ever add prime to the new replacement water before i add it into the tank.

What he said. Just add it to the tiny bit of remaining tank water, and when you fill it up it all mixes together. Make sure you feel the new water to make sure it's a similar temperature.
And prime is the best (IMO) but any dechlorinator should work just as well. I think prime is the only one to detoxify ammonia and nitrite though.

My hose looks to be a 1/2"

That just seems wholly unnecessary.

I think you dose full tank volume vs WC volume because if you dose according to the entire tank, you're relatively assured to have neutralized all the chloramines before they hit your filter, as opposed to if it's at a 1:1 ratio of neutralizer to chloramines, where it could take some time to fully react.
Thanks aqua_chem, i know i might sound cheap but if your paying as much as i am for the prime, you want it to last as long as possible!!!!

He says he's getting a water changer similar to a python....direct sink-to-tank, impossible to add prime to new water first.
Exactly, i used to declor each bucket of new water before adding, as i won't be using them now, i wanted to know when and how much people dechlorinated using the changers....

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated...Ian

Back
Top Bottom