Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Water changes are a bit of bind with a bucket and a jug, especially in a larger tank.

Does anyone have any tips for making this a little easier?

Get an aqueon water changer or a python, will help more then you can imagine.

A python is pretty much a modified hose that connect to your sink making water changes really easy. It also has a gravel vaccum attached to it!

It'll siphon water out and put water back In the tank just add declorinator.

Sharkbait54 said:
A python is pretty much a modified hose that connect to your sink making water changes really easy. It also has a gravel vaccum attached to it!

It'll siphon water out and put water back In the tank just add declorinator.

How do you add dechlorinator to these devices? Is it just a case of adding the required amount before refilling?

richardh said:
How do you add dechlorinator to these devices? Is it just a case of adding the required amount before refilling?

Yes. Add dechlorinator for the entire tank volume before refilling and your good to go. Also as stated be careful with the water temp. I killed my entire stock this way my first time using one but no problems since. Just be careful and you should be good to go.

Match the temp to tank at the sink before refilling by hand or with a Thermometer.

Duna, sorry to hear you lost those fish. That must of been devastating. How much was the temp difference when you lost your fish?

Ardynas said:
Match the temp to tank at the sink before refilling by hand or with a Thermometer.

Duna, sorry to hear you lost those fish. That must of been devastating. How much was the temp difference when you lost your fish?

Thank you. That was a few years back so I'm not sure but the difference in temp was considerable. I actually quit using the python to replace water for over a year. I would only use it for removing water. Since trying again and being more careful I have had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom