Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I don't have a python to do water changes because none of the sinks near my tank have a screw-on end on the faucet. I don't have dechlorinator either. When I do my water changes I fill up gallons of water and let them sit for a week or two before I do my PWCs. My question is how long does it take for chemicals like chlorine and chloramine to evaporate out? I've always thought it was a few days but i'm just curious.

I have the same problem. I use the python with the faucet in the front yard. Can you snake (no pun intended) the python through a window, that could reach one of your outside faucets? Unorthodox, but effective1

Chlorine will gas out in a day or so if you let it sit with a bubbler in it. Chloramine is a different beastie. It will not gas out (or takes a very long time). You really need a good dechlorinator if you have tap water with chloramine in it.

Have you thought about replacing the faucet to accomidate the python?
Seachem Prime is the best dechlorinator that I know of.

If possible, I recommend prime. Best bang for your buck, 5ml for 50gallons comparing it to 5ml for 10gallons on other conditioner

I will try to get prime with Christmas money after the holiday. How much does it cost?
Also, how do I know if my water has chloramine in it?

Aces11 said:
I will try to get prime with Christmas money after the holiday. How much does it cost?
Also, how do I know if my water has chloramine in it?

Ask your water supplier, many times you can find their water report in their websites.
As far as the dechlorinator, you can buy a big PRIME bottle for 19 bucks, or other brands as little as 7 dollars.
In other words, it is not expensive...and your fish deserve it.

I heard that Santa has a large stock of Prime so put that on your list! :dance:

I asked my dad for a water report so I'll find out what chemicals and minerals are in my tap and how much.

I used to use Prime but then I switched over to API tap water conditioner. It's super cheap, 1 ml treats 20 gallons, 5 mil treats 100 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom