Water changes - 2+ gallon plastic pitchers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackin

Aquarium Advice Activist
7 tanks running here and the water changes are starting to kill me!!! :blink:
Running back and forth to the bathtub to fill up 1 gallon plastic pitcher.... 20+ times at a time.

I've searched the web until my face turns blue looking for a 2+ gallon plastic pitcher, with handle. I don't really like using and pouring out of a bucket in most of my tanks for various reasons. Hoods in the way, blows sand and plants and deco around, etc.

What do you guys do? Anyone have a better answer? Anyone know where to find a larger capacity regular plastic pitcher? :confused:

I've got one. Well, 2 actually. And they're awesome for the 1 tank that's within range of a faucet. :) 6 of the tanks are scattered around bedrooms, living room, office, etc.

Get a barrel and pump!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm still doing the bucket method, but with two 20s and a 6.6g, it's not really a lot of water. I use a 5 gallon bucket.
As for pouring water back in, I use an air pump shelf. It's a throwback from my fish keeping days in the 70s/80s. It's basically a 5"x6" plastic shelf with two plastic hooks for hanging onto the rim of the tank. I hang the shelf on the inside of the tank, pour water, and it spreads it out sideways.
If I did not have the air pump shelf, I would take one of those hang on specimen thingys (what they use in the LFS to hold fish before bagging them). I'd drill a bunch of holes in it so it showers the tank with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Go to Lowes or any other hardware store and buy more tubing for your water changer. I extended mine quite a bit..

Jesse

So you mentioned a cat. I take the Tidy Cats buckets and the smaller size that still comes in those plastic jugs and use them to transport water when needed. And then you just use something like a specimen container or an air pump shelf or an old plate to prevent the water from messing up your scape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom