Water changes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjb_1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Other than using a Python (not readily available in the UK) or Aqueon water changer, does anyone have any DIY solution for adding water to a tank during water changes (coldwater).

I have a hose and could connect it to my kitchen tap I guess, but what with? (the 'official' adapters won't fit my tap).

Getting the water out is easy into a large container I have, but I want a better/quicker way of getting it back in (without using buckets).

Thanks in advance.

I believe I had this conversation with another member from the UK, and we determined that the faucets there are not threaded like the ones here across the pond? If that is the case, I am not sure there is much you can do about hooking it direct to your sink.

You could add a Y junction to your cold water line with a hose barb and some gate valves to control flow, if you have any plumbing skills.

For getting the water out, is there a window close? I have heard of folks just sticking the other end of the hose out a window and watering the flower bed, instead of dealing with buckets.

It's a no on the plumbing skills front lol. You are correct the majority of our taps are not threaded.

The water out part is easy, either via container or out of the window, that is an option.

Just wondering what on earth I could use to get the hose to stay on the tap.

P.S. Go Big Blue!!

Yeah, something like that I think would be ideal, thanks fort!

The reason I want to use the kitchen tap is due to the fact that the water temp in winter will be too cold even for my coldwater tank running my hose from the garden tap. With an indoor tap hose adapter I will be able to mix in a little warm with it.

fort384 said:
Makes sense.

One thing though, should I add Prime declorinator for the full volume of the tank BEFORE adding via hose, or add after only the required amount for the volume of water I have added?

One thing though, should I add Prime declorinator for the full volume of the tank BEFORE adding via hose, or add after only the required amount for the volume of water I have added?

I add Prime to dose the entire size of the tank before adding water, then I dose again, same amount after. 50% WC in my tank is 100US gallons and using Prime this way has always worked like a charm!

Rivercats said:
I add Prime to dose the entire size of the tank before adding water, then I dose again, same amount after. 50% WC in my tank is 100US gallons and using Prime this way has always worked like a charm!

Cool, thanks. I will do that then.

Thanks again.

Ok well i've just found out we have a 'Hozelock' tap adapter to connect a hose to, which came with a birthing pool we bought and never used due to a hospital birth being required.

Nice of her to tell me we had one!

So its perfect and I have cut off the 12ft of hose I need, and I am ready for my water change :)

fort384 said:
Excellent! Even better. :)

She never mentioned it until now though, crazy.

I've been saying for a few days, 'i could really do with some sort of adapter to connect a hose to this tap' lol.

Then only now she decides to say 'we have one of those in the garage'.

Back
Top Bottom