Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJonline

Aquarium Advice Regular
I do weekly water changes on all my tanks. I test the water two or three times a week to make sure everything is ok. So my question is how long could I go between water changes if the water tests are ok? I ask because I'm going to help my brother for close to three weeks and I wont have anyone to do a water change on my tanks while I'm gone.
Could I test daily and wait until something changes before I do a water change? Should i see if i can get to three weeks without a water change? Should I just chance it when I'm gone? I have an auto feeder and the tanks are over filtered and way under stocked. I won't be getting anything new before I leave. What is the longest you have been before doing a water change?

A lot of people, myself included do the trial/error thing.
Every tank is different.
I don't see why 3 weeks would be a problem as long as the fish are being fed the minimal amount, like every other day versus everyday.

When are you going away?

Actually if it were my tank I would do weekly 50% WC's to keep the water healthy and then do a 50% WC the day before leaving. Your tank should be fine for 3 weeks especially if your auto feeder is only putting in a pinch of food daily.

I won't be leaving until after the first of the year.

I always do a 50% water change every Saturday. I can even do one the morning of my flight and the evening I get back. That would leave 19 days without a water change.

I won't be leaving until after the first of the year.

I always do a 50% water change every Saturday. I can even do one the morning of my flight and the evening I get back. That would leave 19 days without a water change.

I don't see a problem then. Just be sure your auto feeder is working right. I would actually try it out by starting it a couple days or so before leaving so you can actually see how much food it's adding.

In my 60 gal I have 3 green cory cats and 5 gold white clouds and a lot of live plants with two penguin 350 and a EHEIM Classic 2217. One penguin 350 filter a 50 to 70 gal tank and the eheim filters 150 gals and that is all on one 60 gal tank. My 29 bow front has 2 bumblebee mollies and a lot of live plants with a penguin 350 on it. My 10 gal each have 3 black tetras and 2 cory cats with penguin 200's on them. The 12 gal is a fluval edge has 1 dwarf fire gourami. I guess I consider the 10's and the 12 gal to be "full". But I could put more fish in the 60 and the 29 I just haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom