Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siester53

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 200l tropical freshwater tank now for about 5 weeks and have about 35 mixed inhabitants with a large plant life, I have never done a water change as I've been told by my lfs that because my local water is very hard it is not recommended, my fish all look very happy and I have 3 filters. The water looks very clean but after a poly filter test it turned brown (I was told this was copper in my water) is water changing really as important as I have read or should I listen to my lfs?

Water changes are very neccesary. I believe they should be done every week. And change out 30% - 50% of the water with treated temperature matched water. I use Prime to add to the water that I'm putting back in the tank. Prime will help neutralize metals in the water. As for hard water, you can use driftwood or limestone in your tank. I know that everyone here will also tell you to get an API master test kit.

Thanks so when i do my water changes should I treat the new water before I add it to the tank or just add it then treat the water as a whole? And I have big wood already in the tank so hopefully that should make a difference!

Thanks so when i do my water changes should I treat the new water before I add it to the tank or just add it then treat the water as a whole? And I have big wood already in the tank so hopefully that should make a difference!

I treat the tank as I'm refilling it. Then add a little more when I'm done. Just the way I do... Others may have there own way.

I treat my 55g with prime as I'm filling it as well. I do 50% weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom