Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecos4596

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm very new to the whole fish thing why do people do water changes?

To keep nitrates in check. That's the compound that isn't broken down further in the aquarium. You want them as low as possible or between 10 and 20 ppm for a planted aquarium. I myself do at a 20% change weekly. It's critical for the long term success of your aquarium. Most of us recommend the API liquid test kit to check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph etc... Hope that helps.

Water changes are the absolute best thing you can do for your charges. In an aquarium setting, fish live within its own waste. Thus, the water eventually becomes toxic to them. Luckily, there are different bacteria that convert fish waste into a nitrogen that can be removed by doing water changes. If you have live plants, the plants can help remove the nitrogen compounds as well. Water changes also gets rid of other nasties too.

Adding new water will also reconstitute minerals as well. Make sure the new water's pH and temperature match the old water as closely as possible.

I do 50% water changes on my tanks every week, and I actually enjoy doing it.

David

I'm right there with David on this one -- I have learned to enjoy doing my 50% water changes on my 60 gallon goldfish tank, even though I still do them the old fashioned way by syphoning the tank water into five gallon buckets and dumping those one at a time...:banghead::banghead:

Based on my tank volume, that means I make SIX trips to the bathtub to dump the old water and SIX trips BACK with fresh water (half of 60 is 30, and at five gallons a time, this means SIX trips). But I really do feel like I'm giving my fish the cleanest, healthiest water supply they need this way and that I am keeping them healthy...so I've learned to like it, as crazy as it sounds...

Most first time hobbyists HATE doing these water changes and most argue against them, claiming they could just let the water evaporate and then replace that water with fresh...I was the EXACT same way when I got reintroduced to the hobby with a sincere interest in fancy goldfish (I used to keep tropicals many years ago as a little kid with my dad); I didn't want to do the water changes and learned the hard way through dead fish and bad water conditions, phosphates and even diatoms that once a cycle has begun, a 50% weekly schedule for replacing the tank water is required...

Many also argue -- as I did as a complete novice -- that with good filtration systems, the water changes aren't necessary. But that's also wrong -- filters will just filter the junk and water column that already exists in the tank. You MUST replenish your tank water with fresh, dechlorinated tap water regularly to replace buffers, minerals and so much more.

OP: Do you know about water dechlorinators and conditioners? If not, before you put ANY tap water into your tank it must be "conditioned" to remove harmful chemicals to the fish -- it's often agreed upon around here, and the entire hobby for that matter, that Seachem's PRIME is the best product for this.

Please ask any questions that you may have...

Back
Top Bottom