Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most seems to treat chlorine and chloramine but not all handles the resulting ammonia. Just to see, try pet store water and let them test your tap water and see if they find anything. I know their water is $12 bucks a gallon but using it will help us figure something out.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I noticed that when I added water more quickly than I do now when doing a WC that some of the fish would shimmy a bit afterward (mainly Rainbowfish). I also had some deaths when I added a gallon in a steady pour, taking only seconds to empty the gallon jug. So now when I do a change, I add the water, one gallon at a time, very slowly. Not as slow as a drip, but a slow stream. Might take a minute or so to empty one gallon. Then I might wait maybe 3-5 minutes before adding another gallon. Takes longer than way, but I've noticed I rarely have any problem now after a WC. I do this with mmy 55, 20 and 10 gallon tanks. If I had a nano tank, I'd add it even slower. Just something to think about.

Only seconds? :nono: TORNADO! :hide:

It should take you at least 30 seconds to smoothly empty a gallon. Otherwise you're blowing your fish around and into things.

I pour in on top of my large heater - it helps disperse the water on entry, and isn't nearly as turbulent. Still taked me a few minutes to add 5g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have anything in my tank to break up "the wind," but a pan does help there.

maybe you should treat the water then wait awhile then add it to the tank : maybe it longer in your water

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try testing for ammonia before adding the water. If your municipal water has cloramine, treating it may free ammonia.

I think your dechlorinator conditioner is expired. Tetra sells a chlorine chloramine detector test strip. Do a test on your tap water before and after dechlorination.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Prime is awesome, I do not suspect the prime being the problem at all.

What fish are we talking about? Some are a lot mores sensitive than others.

Do you clean/stir you substrate often?

Are you filling the tank higher than it previously was? How do the fish behave before they die/after a water change.

I had a friend who was putting too much water back in, to the point there wasn't enough surface vibration, the water wasn't being oxygenated, and fish would die.

That seems weird.

The most likely problem is the water you are putting in is very different than what is in the tank, either temperature, hardness, or PH. Or there is something wrong with the fish, not coping to the stress of a water change.

I would test your plain tap water. Then add Prime and test it again. Then test the water in the tank and compare.

In the meantime try doubling the amount of prime (you can use 5x the normal amount safely)
Maybe there is just too much heavy metals or chloramine, or something then a simple dose of prime will take care of.

That's a tough one, keep us updated, and tell us more about your fish, especially their behavior before/after a water change.

can you use to much of the prime its strong stuff 5mils for 50gals

can you use to much of the prime its strong stuff 5mils for 50gals

Yes you can,

You can use UP TO 5x the normal dose "in an emergency" I have never needed more than double.

Prime is awesome, I do not suspect the prime being the problem at all.

What fish are we talking about? Some are a lot mores sensitive than others.

Do you clean/stir you substrate often?

Are you filling the tank higher than it previously was? How do the fish behave before they die/after a water change.

I had a friend who was putting too much water back in, to the point there wasn't enough surface vibration, the water wasn't being oxygenated, and fish would die.

That seems weird.

The most likely problem is the water you are putting in is very different than what is in the tank, either temperature, hardness, or PH. Or there is something wrong with the fish, not coping to the stress of a water change.

I would test your plain tap water. Then add Prime and test it again. Then test the water in the tank and compare.

In the meantime try doubling the amount of prime (you can use 5x the normal amount safely)
Maybe there is just too much heavy metals or chloramine, or something then a simple dose of prime will take care of.

That's a tough one, keep us updated, and tell us more about your fish, especially their behavior before/after a water change.

After a week sitting in the tank the water chemistry will be much different from the new tap water.

There seems to be some dramatic change that the fish are not liking so much. Fish and plants prefer stability. Fish and plants don't like change in their environment. Especially sudden changes. Large water changes with a chemical that has unknown ingredients such as prime (no disrespect to anyone that uses prime or any water conditioner) will change the water chemistry dramatically. Some fish will be ok and some won't it just depends on the individual's tank.

Try doing smaller but more frequent water changes and stick with the correct dose of prime for the new water going in.

Also be sure to drip acclimatise your new fish. I'm not saying you don't but a longer and slower acclimatisation period will see a better response from the fish to your water and reduce any potential problems down the road.

Really, we may need to try changing less water more frequently. I didn't think about that but it will sure do it.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

A backup for the person who said it'd require more than a few hours of chlorine exposure ...

I did a huge water change a few days ago, and a few hours after Adding water back to the main tank I noticed I'd grabbed the wrong bottle and had added quick start (bacteria) not stress coat (water conditioner). So the fish all had a few hours of chlorine. I got the stress coat in right away and a few days later, even the delicate Otos are still fine.

Some cities have changes in the water chemistry at certain times of the year. One member of AA lost his whole tank, due to his city "flushing the system". The water had stuff in it that we don't test for.

Also. Make sure you run the water for a bit to clear your pipes before adding to the tank.

Prime doesn't hurt fish. It's completely safe up to 5x normal dose.

Salt should NOT be added to planted tanks.

Are you vacuuming heavily or changing out filter pads ?
Over cleaning can kill off BB.

Are you doing WCs weekly ?

I agree smaller changes more often till you get a handle on the issue.

As far as temp goes, I often fill with slightly cooler water to stimulate breeding behaviors. Never lost fish. But mine are small tanks.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom