Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really curious as to what the behavior of the fish is prior to and after a water change, and especially before they have died

Your fish will tell you what's going on if you know what to look for.

Swimming eratic, going to the bottom. Then get lethargic and belly up.
I found out the local water company had been flushing lines due to new installs so I'd BET that's what did it. Water smelled funny that day too just didn't dawn on me at the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Killed an angel fish and a tetra I had, my plecco is bulletproof I believe

Reading this has got me worried now, do I have to add enough water conditioner for what I am adding or for the entire tank? I usually add a bit more than is needed just to be safe, is this ok?

If you're mixing water in a bucket before adding, just enough conditioner for the bucket. If you're adding water straight to the tank, add enough for the whole tank before adding water.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you changed water sources yet?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

If you're mixing water in a bucket before adding, just enough conditioner for the bucket. If you're adding water straight to the tank, add enough for the whole tank before adding water.

Thanks, I only ever add from a bucket so that's ok.

I've been WC because my water is cloudy ; the cloudiness keeps coming back does that mean its cycling

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking I may go to RO water (since I have an unlimited source at work) and change my filter setup also. I have a 29 gal biocube and I think I may switch to a canister setup and just start over

I've been WC because my water is cloudy ; the cloudiness keeps coming back does that mean its cycling

It doesn't mean your cycling.
Did you rinse off decor, substrate, etc when you first put them in?

Any real rocks, do you have a sandy substrate, gravel, rocks?

Is your water source clear?

My tank is foggy after every water change because I stir the sand when I do it, but it's usually back to crystal clear in a few hours.

thats how its always been . rite back to crystal clear it not doing now. how about the charcoal does it do anything

Charcoal/carbon will pull cloudiness out of the water. You know when your cycle has completed for the fish you have stocked, when your ammonia is 0, your nitrites spike, waterchange, waterchange waterchange, waterchange, nitrate spike, water change, and finally when ammonia and nitrite are both zero and it takes a week between water changes to record a difference in nitrates.

Once I get to that point on my big tank, I plan to make a nice post about the process, and what to look for. I'm probably two to three weeks out based on my current nitrite levels.

I'm thinking I may go to RO water (since I have an unlimited source at work) and change my filter setup also. I have a 29 gal biocube and I think I may switch to a canister setup and just start over

Don't go completely RO unless you are using a SEACHEM product called equilibrium or add part tap part RO.
Straight RO water is too pure.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom