Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaGuy12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright so I have a 60 gallon tank that has been cycled multiple times. However I continually have problems every time I do a water change. I do a little less than a quarter of the tank and I put the conditioner in the new water and let it sit for a couple hours. Every time it looks like my fish suffer from chlorine burns. I use the stress coat conditioner and ammo lock in the new water and in the tank. If you guys have any ideas for how I can do it that would be awesome.
Thanks

Use prime, some water won't budge with anything else, mine included.. you in the city?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Prime is a competitor to ammo-lock. Removes chlorine, breaks down chloramines, etc..

It's some extremely secretive, well guarded product from seachem that does wonders for chlorine/chloromine loaded tap water.

It's some extremely secretive, well guarded product from seachem that does wonders for chlorine/chloromine loaded tap water.

Lol Brookster !!!

But in all seriousness, it is ^^. Just about every aquatic company has their "best product" for such purposes. API has stress coat/zyme, Seachem is prime, Marineland has theirs and so on. It's really a research game I find out what works best for your area and in what concentrations. City water is pretty tough stuff. My buddy that's only a couple miles away has totally different water than I do and it all comes from the same place. One option to try would be leave some in a glass on the counter overnight and see if there's a difference in the parameters as opposed to right from the tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Here are a few things I have learned about using Prime. When I do a partial water change in my 29 gallon tank, I use gallon jugs and I always pour about 1/4 capful in each jug before I add the water. I don't let the water sit at all. Now when I do the 55 gallon tank, I use a python and water goes directly in the tank from the tap. In this case, I add a whole capful (for 50 gallons) into the tank before I put the fresh water back I with the Python. That's important, add the Prime first, and enough for the whole tank if you are going from the tap.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Water Change Problems

Alright so I have a 60 gallon tank that has been cycled multiple times. However I continually have problems every time I do a water change. I do a little less than a quarter of the tank and I put the conditioner in the new water and let it sit for a couple hours. Every time it looks like my fish suffer from chlorine burns. I use the stress coat conditioner and ammo lock in the new water and in the tank. If you guys have any ideas for how I can do it that would be awesome.
Thanks

Hello IA...

Changing a quarter of the tank water is fine for cycling the tank, but does nothing to remove most of the toxins in the old tank water. I change out half the water in my 60 G every week. The longer treated tap water sits in the tank the more the water chemistry changes. If you get out the gear for a water change, then change the water. You can treat the water in buckets if you want to do it that way or add the declorinator for a 50 percent change using the syphon method. Both will work, but change out the old, dirty tank water. Your fish won't stay healthy swimming in their own wastes and will appreciate the cleaner water.

B

Thanks

Any water readings on ammonia, ph?

Back
Top Bottom