water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a bad fish momma. I let the tank go and it is full of algae. *Hangs head in shame. I did a water change/vacuum 3 days ago. I still need to do probably 2 more to get my tank back. I can't use any algae treatments because of my Bamboo shrimp *hangs head in shame. It's a 25 gallon with 1 shrimp (named Jacques) and 3 giant silvery tetras.
How many days should there be between water changes and vacuuming?

I'm a bad fish momma. I let the tank go and it is full of algae. *Hangs head in shame. I did a water change/vacuum 3 days ago. I still need to do probably 2 more to get my tank back. I can't use any algae treatments because of my Bamboo shrimp *hangs head in shame. It's a 25 gallon with 1 shrimp (named Jacques) and 3 giant silvery tetras.

How many days should there be between water changes and vacuuming?

Hello :)
Algae can be a tough battle. Keep doing those water changes! Can we get a pic of the fish? If it's silver dollars your in trouble.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Picture

I have uploaded a picture of the tank.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Size tank, and lighting used and how long are the lights on ?? A pic would be nice
The lights go on at 10am and off at 11pm.
Not sure what kind of lights... they are in the hood of the aquarium and they are tubes... maybe fluorescent?
It's a 25 gallon tank.
No plants.

Don't use treatment, rather solve the reasons! Where's the tank picture? How about levels of NO2, NO3, pH, GH,... No CO2? Ferts?? And light is too much (if you don't have light-demanding plants). 7-8 h (in two sessions: morning and evening) would be fine enough...

My advice: add some hardy plants and cut down light interval!

The lights go on at 10am and off at 11pm.
Not sure what kind of lights... they are in the hood of the aquarium and they are tubes... maybe fluorescent?
It's a 25 gallon tank.
No plants.

More than one tube?
13 hours of light is way too much, I would start by cutting it in half.
As far as water changes, I personally am big on water changes, you can do them as often as you feel necessary, 50% at a time is a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't use treatment, rather solve the reasons! Where's the tank picture? How about levels of NO2, NO3, pH, GH,... No CO2? Ferts?? And light is too much (if you don't have light-demanding plants). 7-8 h (in two sessions: morning and evening) would be fine enough...

My advice: add some hardy plants and cut down light interval!

Good day Vlado we meet again.

Vlado is right. Cut back the light and do 50% changes. And if he has no plants. No reason for ferts or co2.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Good day Vlado we meet again.
Vlado is right. Cut back the light and do 50% changes. And if he has no plants. No reason for ferts or co2.
Caleb
Sent via TARDIS

Hello Caleb! :wink:

No doubt, I didn't read about the plants, when I wrote that.
IMO: beside the light, absolom should think about his silver dollars (if you hit it!) and/or find asap some hardy plants for his tank to absorb too high levels of nitrates. More PWC would be ok too of course...

Good night! :wave:

I have a 25 gallon tank with 3 fish that are 1 1/2 inches long and a 1 1/2 inch bamboo shrimp and you're telling me my tank isn't big enough?

Hello Caleb! :wink:

No doubt, I didn't read about the plants, when I wrote that.
IMO: beside the light, absolom should think about his silver dollars (if you hit it!) and/or find asap some hardy plants for his tank to absorb too high levels of nitrates. More PWC would be ok too of course...

Good night! :wave:
I don't have any silver dollars.

I have a 25 gallon tank with 3 fish that are 1 1/2 inches long and a 1 1/2 inch bamboo shrimp and you're telling me my tank isn't big enough?

Your tank is plenty large. Since you have no plants, you should not have the lights on more than 6 hours a day once this clears up. I learned that the hard way after an attack of black beard algae in 2013. I use fake silk plants and more than 5-6 hours a day of light and algae grows all over them despite taking excellent care of filters and water changes and the water being crystal clear and odorless.

To cure your problem which I assume is common green algae, turn the lights off altogether and do not feed the fish for three days. After that, only one hour of light per day and "light feeding" until the problem is solved to keep nitrates down so algae has nothing to feed off of. 40% or so water changes every two or three days and gravel/substrate vacuums until the nitrates go way down.

Not sure of your filtration, but stuffing tightly packed floss or using 50 micron polishing pads in your filter may help remove many "invisible" contaminants as well as some of the green tint.

Good luck.

To clarify me and Vlado meant if it was indeed silver dollars that you had, which now you have said you do not, then you would be in trouble as they get pretty big! But you don't so all is well :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

To clarify me and Vlado meant if it was indeed silver dollars that you had, which now you have said you do not, then you would be in trouble as they get pretty big! But you don't so all is well :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Thank you. You guys had me really worried. I live in a really small apartment. I had visions of putting my tv over a huge aquarium so I could see it lol.

Back
Top Bottom