Water Changes ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doing water changes helps the cycle go faster by removing the backlog of nitrogen compounds the bacteria needs to process. So it does help speed things along

This is only true if your ammonia or nitrite levels are over 5 ppm or so. And even then, that claim is somewhat controversial.

I've never done a fish-in cycle but, as has been stated earlier, you need to test your water parameters daily. If you see *any* ammonia or nitrite, do a 50% WC and add a double dose (at least) of a binding agent such as Prime.

Spiking ?
Is my aquarium spiking ? I've heard it said that the normal progression of cycling a tank is ammonia spike, increase of nitrites as ammonia levels decrease & it ends when the beneficial bacteria takes over.
Yesterday, unintentionally, I gave some false information. I said my ammonia level was 1. After looking @ the chart I am keeping, I found it was 2. Today, it is between 2 & 3.
I did a water change yesterday. I dosed with Prime today.
The water is clear & the fish appear healthy.
What is my best course of action ?
Ride it out & do a water change every other day as what was suggested yesterday ?
Help.

From post #8 it appears the message is: For a fish-in cycle, change enough water to keep the ammonia level down. Below 1 ppm. How much and how often depends on your test results. And it would not hurt to test your source water (assuming tap) as well to see if any is coming from there.
With 2 ppm ammonia doing a pwc every other day is stressful for the fish. I would do at least a 50% now and continue daily as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

50%

From post #8 it appears the message is: For a fish-in cycle, change enough water to keep the ammonia level down. Below 1 ppm. How much and how often depends on your test results. And it would not hurt to test your source water (assuming tap) as well to see if any is coming from there.
With 2 ppm ammonia doing a pwc every other day is stressful for the fish. I would do at least a 50% now and continue daily as needed.

I know I have to get the ammonia levels down !
But, might a 50% water change also be a shock to the system ?

So, in my position, what would you recommend ?

In your position i'd do exactly as the comments have said.

Test your water, if it reads above 1ppm ammonia then do a 50% water change to bring it back down. Don't let it go above 1ppm and your fish should be okay.

Caleb

Difficult to Read

Test your water, if it reads above 1ppm ammonia then do a 50% water change to bring it back down. Don't let it go above 1ppm and your fish should be okay.

Caleb

The test strips are so difficult to read. The shades are so close.
After that 50% water change, I would say I have gone from a 2 to almost a one. Like a 1 1/2.
I'm not trying to be funny. I am just trying to report as accurately as I can.
I realize I'm going to have to do this daily till I get to 1 or below.
Is twice a day too much ?
I also did weekly water changes on my established tanks. ( maybe not 50% )
I have never before tested to this degree. The fish seem so healthy. How would I know ?

You should purchase a liquid based test kit such as the API Freshwater Master kit. Provides tests for pH, high pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Most of the steps are pretty simple. Some results appear instantly while other take a few minutes to develop. More accurate and easier to read compared to strips.
2x a day for WCs is not unheard of. There is a lot of testing early on but once things stabilize then the amount of testing drops considerably.

Testing Kit

You should purchase a liquid based test kit such as the API Freshwater Master kit. Provides tests for pH, high pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Most of the steps are pretty simple. Some results appear instantly while other take a few minutes to develop. More accurate and easier to read compared to strips.
2x a day for WCs is not unheard of. There is a lot of testing early on but once things stabilize then the amount of testing drops considerably.

Thanks.
What about a 50% change daily ? Would that be ok ?
That is that kit I am using.

The test strips are so difficult to read. The shades are so close.
After that 50% water change, I would say I have gone from a 2 to almost a one. Like a 1 1/2.
I'm not trying to be funny. I am just trying to report as accurately as I can.
I realize I'm going to have to do this daily till I get to 1 or below.
Is twice a day too much ?
I also did weekly water changes on my established tanks. ( maybe not 50% )
I have never before tested to this degree. The fish seem so healthy. How would I know ?

Ammonia poisoning does not necessarily show up right away, but consistent readings of (1-2ppm and higher) certainly does long term gill damage and/or death. If I were you I'd continue doing at least 50% wc's daily until I could purchase a liquid testing kit. You need to be testing nitrites as well, they appear during cycling and are deadly. Good luck! Your hard work will pay off!

Testing Kit

Ammonia poisoning does not necessarily show up right away, but consistent readings of (1-2ppm and higher) certainly does long term gill damage and/or death. If I were you I'd continue doing at least 50% wc's daily until I could purchase a liquid testing kit. You need to be testing nitrites as well, they appear during cycling and are deadly. Good luck! Your hard work will pay off!

I have the liquid testing kit. That is what I've been using. I have trouble distinguishing between the colours on the chart. It tests for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, PH & PH high range. It is only ammonia that has been a problem thus far. Nitrites have been consistently 0 & nitrates have been 5.

Ammonia test kit shows both Toxic Ammonia and non toxic Ammonium. The Prime he is using concerts all the ammonia to ammonium which is why his fish are acting just fine. This concept is well documented with a little digging. Lot's of companies make these products for a long time now. They are used in fish farms and all kinds of places.

Oh, and Nitrate is non toxic. Nitrite is.
If you still have ammonia and also have nitrates then it seems like your mid cycle and you should have some nitrites. In the past I have had a lot of problems with the nitrite kit from API going bad on me :(

Caleb

My experience is that exposure to 0.5 ppm ammonia will kill some fish within a few days. Unless your fish are really hardy, I'd recommend not letting the ammonia exceed 0.25 ppm.

My experience is that exposure to 0.5 ppm ammonia will kill some fish within a few days. Unless your fish are really hardy, I'd recommend not letting the ammonia exceed 0.25 ppm.

Even better.

Except that your not taking into consideration the prime? Unless you are. Have you had fish die while using prime and ammonia of .5ppm? I never have.

I have been using Prime for over a week. My ammonia is coming down. It started @ 0 & climbed to 2. Now it is down to 1. It has been between 1 & 2 for a few days now. No causalities. In fact they appear quite content. ( no gasping for air, no hiding in the corner, no fins clamped, etc. )
I know I am not home free, but so far, so good. :)

I have been using Prime for over a week. My ammonia is coming down. It started @ 0 & climbed to 2. Now it is down to 1. It has been between 1 & 2 for a few days now. No causalities. In fact they appear quite content. ( no gasping for air, no hiding in the corner, no fins clamped, etc. )
I know I am not home free, but so far, so good. :)

That's awesome. Your doing it right. Soon it will be over. Have you had the brown slime algae yet? Or the cloudy water? Those are typical of a new tank and come and go on there own.

Back
Top Bottom