Water Changes ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed

I have a ph of 7.6. During a cycle in one of my tanks the ph kept dropping to near 6, stalling my cycle. Water changes absolutely helped get the cycle started again. If his tap is 6.8, then it makes perfect sense that water changes would help, along with leaving the ph altering chemicals out of the tank. Simple.
No way could water changes alone lower the ph in his tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agreed:)

When my PH went from 6.2 to 8.8 in less than 24 hours, I lost 2. It was the only chemical change. Ammonia had remained @ .5. That was not a coincidence. The drastic PH flluxuation killed them.

That's not necessarily true. Exposure to 0.5 ppm ammonia for multiple days can kill them. The timing of their death and the pH change could've been coincidental. It's also possible that the ammonia levels heavily stressed them and the sudden pH change finished them off.

If I were you, I'd return the fish to the store, get your pH issue figured out without fish in the tank, and do a fishless cycle. I have nothing more to add to this thread. Good luck.

0.5ppm ammonia is considerably more toxic at a ph of 8.8 as opposed to 6.2. It's more probable that the ph fluctuation indirectly killed your fish due to the percentage of free anmonia in the water made possible by the rise in ph.

0.5ppm ammonia is considerably more toxic at a ph of 8.8 as opposed to 6.2. It's more probable that the ph fluctuation indirectly killed your fish due to the percentage of free anmonia in the water made possible by the rise in ph.

Excellent point

That's not necessarily true. Exposure to 0.5 ppm ammonia for multiple days can kill them. The timing of their death and the pH change could've been coincidental. It's also possible that the ammonia levels heavily stressed them and the sudden pH change finished them off.

If I were you, I'd return the fish to the store, get your pH issue figured out without fish in the tank, and do a fishless cycle. I have nothing more to add to this thread. Good luck.

Neither do I.

Valid point!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom