Water Changes Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GanaM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
Ive had 2 rescued goldfish for several years in 120 litre tanks. They are doing very well and my planted tank is very healthy. I do weekly 25% water changes. In a few months during summer I am going away for two weeks. Whilst I will have house sitters I dont trust them to do water changes, siphoning, adding chems etc.. Should I do my normal water change before I go or do a bigger 50% water change?

Also Im even thinking of an automatoc feeder as overfeeding by house sitters worries me. Are they reliable?

I’d do just slightly bigger - maybe 35% (or work up to 50% just in case so fish don’t get shocked).

Auto-feeders I have used work but little finicky in drop rate and I tested before leaving.

Hello G...

Auto feeders aren't any more reliable than having someone else take care of your tank. Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food.

Here's what you do: A couple of weeks before you leave, feed the fish a little more and a little more often. A couple of days prior to leaving, stop feeding and do a bit larger water change. Your fish will be fine while you're gone and won't need to be fed. You'll come home to a clean tank and you can start up your regular tank routine.

B

Back
Top Bottom