Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

They might just be a little nervous from their time at the fish store too. Everytime the top opened up at the LFS one of their buddies disappeared...never to be seen again!!!!

Old 10-20-2003, 04:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh, good point julie. I wonder if its sorta like an alien abduction for them? "Uncle JimBob was just swimming past the fake plant when WHAM! This big green monster came down from the sky and took him away! Chased him all around the tank too. I hope they don't have probes..." *smirk*

As for clean hands, I do have some important info on that. There IS a disease one can catch from fish tanks; tis a distant cousin of TB called Mycobacterium marinum. Its fairly rare, but I know of 4 people who have managed to pick it up from the aquarium hobby. Without treatment it can be pretty serious. Gloves are actually a good thing; that being said I have a pair but don't always wear em. Theres a great article about it by Steve Pro here, which explains what it is and what can happen MUCH better then I (graphic pics near the end of the article so be warned): http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.htm

Hrmm...think I'll make that a sticky post too. Good info for everyone.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I've some a few water changes now on my 3 week old 28 gal tank
While your tank is cycling, do water changes every day or every other day, 10-25% of water volume to keep ammonia and nitrItes low. High ammonia and nitrItes will cause your fish much more stress than the actual act of doing the water changes.

Since your fish get stressed after water changes though, you may want to check the quality of your tap water. My water comes from a well, so it gets really cold in the winter time and I have to let it sit overnight to warm up. It all so has nitrAtes in it. On the plus side, I don't have to use a dechlorinater

Also, if you have an older house with copper pipes, the water will soak up some copper. So it's best to let the water run a little bit before putting it into a tank. Most water heaters (maybe all?) are metal lined too, so it's not a good idea to use any hot water.

HTH & Good Luck
Old 10-21-2003, 04:10 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow thanks for all the advice!

My water parameters after 4 weeks still show some amonia and nitrites and nitrAtes showed up last week. I've been changing about 15% of the water every 5 days to keep the amonia down (its never got over 1.2) hopefully the amonia leves disapear soon, I have a feeling a bout with ICK that I medicated on week 2 may have killed some of the bacteria which is why things are going so slowly.

My tap water has 0 amonia, nitrates and nitates but the PH is a little lower than what is in my tank (it keeps climbing to 7.6) and then when I do a water change it drops to around 7.3, maybe this is whats effecting the fish?

In any case they all seem to be happy and all the fins are extended and they are eating eagerly, so its probably all psychlogical (I think you are only somthing there julie)

I also have 3 molly fry loose in the tank and the water change doesnt bother them one bit.
1 Silver Molly
1 Dalmation Molly
4 Tuff as nails Neon Tetras "The Tetra Pak"
150 or so Molly fry in thier own 5 gal tank!
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh yeah one more thing, what do I use to remove algae from the glass? Is there a special tool for this?
1 Silver Molly
1 Dalmation Molly
4 Tuff as nails Neon Tetras "The Tetra Pak"
150 or so Molly fry in thier own 5 gal tank!
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
what do I use to remove algae from the glass?
If it is soft, brown algae I use a high-quality paper towel folded up. For the more stubborn green kind you have the plastic scrapers on a stick, the coarse foam on a stick (or use a credit card or a coarse sponge that is new and has no chemicals on it) and then there is the magnetic glass scraper. Your LFS should have quite an array of algae cleaning tools. There are also mitts for this too. Don't clean the back glass so the mollies will have some algae to eat
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:35 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Stew,

My goldies are a bit skittish during water change, but they settled down after just a few minutes. Odd to see clamped fins all day.

It seems odd to see your tap water with pH of 7.3, going up to 7.6 after sitting in your tank. A pH change of .2 unit is enough to stress fish. However, if you do a 25% water change, the pH would have dropped only to 7.5 from 7.6 by my calculations.

Waring :- skip this if you are math phobic. Since pH is log scale, to calculate the new pH, I used:
final pH = log (10e-7.3 * 0.25 + 10e-7.6 * 0.75)

You may want to check the pH before & after just to be sure.

the likliest cause of the pH change is dissloved gas in your tap water, prob CO2. When the CO2 comes out of solution the pH will rise. I have heard that this may be a problem in well water, and you need to let the water sit overnight to degas it. May be you tap water actually is coming from a well? Might be worthwhile checking with your water supplier. Or experiment yourself & check pH of some aged water vs new water to be sure the change in pH is not due to something in your tank.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Stew wrote:

Quote:
Tapadh leat an t-iasg!
'S e ur beatha!

I like those gloves. They are cheap, and you get a pair, but I only use one at a time. Plus you can re-use them a few times, so that's a plus. I also really like the algae removers (coarse pad) on a stick. I can get between the tank wall and the heater suction cups with it. I have a hand-held pad (the coarse foam), and the one on a stick. There are different algae removers for glass and acrylic. The glass ones are dark green, and the acrylic ones are white. You don't want to use the green ones on acrylic because they might scratch, and the white ones might not be tough enough to remove algae on glass. My tank is only 5.5 gallon, so the hand-held pad is ok for me. For bigger tanks, the magnetic scraper would be good. The pad on a stick is good for tight places and corners.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Time for a trip to the LFS for some algea tools... they see me and my credit card comming from a mile away I don't think i've ever made it out of there under 50 bux haha.

jsoong: thansk for the pH info, I will test som tap water after it has settled, that might well be the situation. I need to learn more about adjusting carbonate harness and its a tad low and might be why the PH fluctuates.

Amonia level get rise to just under 1 every 3-4 days so I think i will nedd to do changes more often for now.. hopefully the tank will cycle soon!

Now on to other problems, check out my other thread

Tags
clean, cleaning, rim, stress, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com