Water changes for bacterial bloom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How big and how frequent should water changes be if you are going through a bacterial bloom?

I've only been through a minor one, but I did a 50% every day and that seemed to clear it up in 3-4 days. Is your water turning white-ish?

I just went thru the same thing. I did a good 75% water change everyday for about a week. The trick is to try and pull the water out on the top of the tank.

Interesting, why the top of the tank? I would think the bacteria would be more prominent near or in the substrate. If that works, though, I'll have to try it next time.

I thought the same thing. Then I was talking to the guy at my LFS and he said to take water from the top. He gave me some long explanation.

I figured I tried everything else and it can't hurt. And bam cleared up in a few days. He also told me to use a capful of hydrogen peroxide to every 10 gal. To help As well what that dose is it clumps all the bacteria together to make it Easyer for the filter to pick up and to get out with water change. He said it dosebt hurt the fish at all.

Back
Top Bottom