Water changes, having problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm having problems with my tank recycling itself everytime I add water. I know it's my water cuz the amm level in my sink water is 4ppm. Can anyone suggest any way I can get some water for my water changes or what I can do so my tank won't keep cycling. It makes my tank look dirty cloudy all the time! Please help

do you drink your sink water? or do you have another source?

Maybe you can go to petco, they have it last time i checked

and same with other LFS or water fill up shops

We drink RO water but I was told I couldn't use it cause it has nothing in it. I have to add a gallon of water every two to three days cuz it starts getting low. I have no idea anymore I was doing half RO and half sink water in a gallon jug but honestly it cost to much for me my hubby and two kids then using it for fish tanks. Five gallons of RO water was gone in two days. I need a different option.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
We drink RO water but I was told I couldn't use it cause it has nothing in it. I have to add a gallon of water every two to three days cuz it starts getting low. I have no idea anymore I was doing half RO and half sink water in a gallon jug but honestly it cost to much for me my hubby and two kids then using it for fish tanks. Five gallons of RO water was gone in two days. I need a different option.

Once you get your amounts if BB large enough they should take care of the ammonia. Just dose prime to detoxify so it doesn't hurt your fish. If your tap water is that bad and you want to keep fish tanks you might just have to bite the bullet and buy a RO system or put in a rain water tank to collect water, then buy the minerals and add them in yourself.

Your tank should be able to compensate for the ammonia level, maybe its best to do smaller PWCs so it's not as much of a jump in toxin levels on water change day. I'd contact my water supplier ASAP with such a high concentration of ammonia in the water, that doesn't sound good at all.

The term 'cycling' usually refers to the nitrogen cycle in particular, it has little to do with water clarity etc.

jetajockey said:
Your tank should be able to compensate for the ammonia level, maybe its best to do smaller PWCs so it's not as much of a jump in toxin levels on water change day. I'd contact my water supplier ASAP with such a high concentration of ammonia in the water, that doesn't sound good at all.

The term 'cycling' usually refers to the nitrogen cycle in particular, it has little to do with water clarity etc.

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure I've read in your other thread the same advice. Small PWC more often instead of weekly large ones.

jetajockey said:

I can't do water changes I just use prime when I add a gallon of water to the tank. I vacuum once or twice a week and rinse the filter media every other week. My twenty gallon has been acting real crazy. The amm has never been 0, it stays between .25 and 1. I know that is not good for my fish that's why I am trying to figure something out!

Mumma.of.two said:
That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure I've read in your other thread the same advice. Small PWC more often instead of weekly large ones.

I don't do water changes, I can't. That why I'm trying to figure out how to get better water to do my tanks with. This is terrible, water shouldn't be this bad coming from our water department. They just don't care, thats messed up!

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes. Do a PWC of 3-4 gals every day or so and dose the whole tank with prime not just the water your adding.

So how would I go about dosing the whole tank and not just jugs. It would be hard on my fish it I put the water straight in the tank then add prime. How should I do the pwc?

Chasnkevin4ever said:
So how would I go about dosing the whole tank and not just jugs. It would be hard on my fish it I put the water straight in the tank then add prime. How should I do the pwc?

How about if you treat the new water then after is all in the tank treat the whole volume of the tank. When you have enough BB to handle the ammonia only treat the new water.

Why do you not drink the tap? Is it for health concerns or is the ammonia actually flavoring the water negatively?

Scientific studies have shown that toxic levels in drinking water for ammonia range from 33mg (cation) to 100mg (NH3) per kg of body weight per day. If we stray on the safe side and assume that 25mg (total of both ions) is the toxicity threshold, a person weighing 150lbs would have to drink roughly 112 gallons of water containing 4ppm ammonia in a day to reach that level. Ammonia occurs naturally in our bloodstream, and exposure to low levels such as 4ppm change it negligably from its baseline reading.

Not exactly a large concern for health if your tap has a little ammonia in it

Why do you not drink the tap? Is it for health concerns or is the ammonia actually flavoring the water negatively?

Scientific studies have shown that toxic levels in drinking water for ammonia range from 33mg (cation) to 100mg (NH3) per kg of body weight per day. If we stray on the safe side and assume that 25mg (total of both ions) is the toxicity threshold, a person weighing 150lbs would have to drink roughly 112 gallons of water containing 4ppm ammonia in a day to reach that level. Ammonia occurs naturally in our bloodstream, and exposure to low levels such as 4ppm change it negligably from its baseline reading.

Not exactly a large concern for health if your tap has a little ammonia in it

Health issuses. It makes u sick and ur teeth get bad and start falling out! This town should get in trouble for the water!

Back
Top Bottom