Water changes HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's the thing, 27g cube, 10 Cory's, Threadfin Celebes and Neon Rainbows. Here's my issue. I have had 5 BN plecos die AFTER water changes. My PH in tank is +/- 6.8. Out of tap is 7.8 PH. I have a python WC. So someone told me it is PH shock that is killing the plecos. I do a 40% WC every week. -- what do I do ? I just got another pleco and I don't want to kill him.

Wow, that's really tragic. Sorry for your loss. What kind of dechlor do you use?

Could you also state your water parameters: ammonia, nitrate, nitrite? Is your water hard or soft?

Could you post some pictures of your tank?

do you dose then fill or fill and then dose? Do you match the temp before adding? Do you use any Ph or buffer?

Ammonia .25 +/- false reading due to Prime, Nitrite 0, NitrAte, 20, very soft (2)., Fill and Dose Prime same time. -have neural regulator, only use sparingly .... if falls to 6.5PH. Very Large Driftwood takes up 1/4 of tank. DW makes water acidic. I use Seachem AquaVitro Carbonate to raise KH. I guess at temperature, try to feel temp! Water is 77 so feels cool to touch, so I feel cool water out of tap. Guesstament .....
I have been advised to "gas off" PH from tap overnight. So I have a 5g bucket with air stone in basement. It is PH 7.8 right now. We will see at 8am tomorrow.
Advise ??

Don't mess with your PH and if you are reading ammonia, your tank has not cycled completely. Change your water 50%+ daily until your ammonia reads 0. My bristlenose plecos are fine in very high ph of 8, and hard water. I don't add anything to decrease my ph, except add some laguna peat pond granules in my filter. Even with the addition of the peat, my PH does not drop, because my water is very hard. However, the peat softens my water a bit. That's why I use and the fish like the tannins.

Each one whole value of pH is a factor of 10 times, so from 6.8 in your tank to 7.8 in your tap is 10 times. You are going to have to match your tap water pH to your tank's pH BEFORE you put it in the tank that has your fish in it. I would suspect it is definetly pH shock. Changes in pH has to be done very gradually. OS.

@OS , but the huge PH difference doesn't effect the fish?o_O just the pleco's. and only in this thank... I have 4. My other pleco's actually seem to like the clean water coming in even tho PH is different and are way more active after the WC. Are some species just more sensitive ? I am Temp matching and PH matching this batch if water to do a WC. Can't use the python for this tank ;(

So at 9:30am the PH went down to 7.0 overnight. I'm warming it up and doing a WC. 5g

bkiggy,
I just checked out your pictures of your tanks. Your 40 g breeder is beautiful. Great work and eye for aquascaping. Congratulations! Caudially OS.

Than you thank you thank you !! I took more pictures today. Added new plants. Rescaped
Cryptocorns suffering "crypto melt". - in 40g profile

I read where crypts usually set back quite a bit after being planted. The article said they spread out shallow roots and really don't like them disturbed. Even have to be careful gravel vacing around their roots. Mine just sit for a month after I planted them, then they started to grow and after four months they are lush and gorgeous. Be patient. OS.

I read where crypts usually set back quite a bit after being planted. The article said they spread out shallow roots and really don't like them disturbed. Even have to be careful gravel vacing around their roots. Mine just sit for a month after I planted them, then they started to grow and after four months they are lush and gorgeous. Be patient. OS.

Thank You. I do alot of real landscaping for my house so aquarium is natural too. Just harder to keep plants alive! LOL underwater is different than above water! I have added root tabs, and iron tabs. They seem to like it. I pull out 1by1 all the stems that are melting off. But it is growing back. Alot of baby stems!!! Does carbon absorb all the nutrients from fertilizers ? And liquid CO2 (excel)

I think the liquid carbon &/or injected CO2 add carbon for the plants to use separate from what you add ferts for. Two great people in here that know a WHOLE LOT about plants and their chemistry are Rivercats and Aqua-chem. Look for them in here. They are great. Luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom