water changes: how do u make the new water the same temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering...

aquarists say to have the 'new water' the SAME temp as the tank water.

How do u do this ??

do i have to buy another heater and thermometer for doing water changes too??

I just guess at it... but i have yet to get it right.

It's not really as hard to do as it seems. If you are using buckets, it easier. A thermometer placed in the bucket while filling will suffice.

If you are using a python, it's a little trickier. Before closing the valve attached to the faucet to allow the water to flow, hold the thermometer under it until you get a temp match.

Over time, you will be able to judge by touch.

Since I am only changing around 25%, I fill it back up with a little bit colder water. Guppys and Amano Shrimp for example love that. They swim directly into the cool stream :eyes: !

I use a Python, my tap comes out at 75 degrees, my tank is set to 78, so I just refill from the tap as low as it will go.

Dave

with most fish, a few degrees isn't a huge stress on their system, and the existing water in the tank will even things out a little, especially if you do more 25% sized w/c.

anything over 50%, and you should try to get close. having a digital thermometer (like the Coralife one) works great because you can get a reading in seconds, and its more accurate than the glass bulb thermometers.

Agreed with most of what has been said. You don't need to make this an exact science. After a while you'll get a feel by touch of what is right. A few degrees in either direction won't stress your fish at all. If I err, I try to do it on the warmer side. :wink:

I have a water softner so I have to use really cold water so it isn't soft. I usaully just let it sit overnight to warm up and it is pretty close and I just dump it in its not a major temp drop just like 1or2 degrees and my fish have been fine over the years. :D
Good Luck :D

what about the heater ???
i'm scared the temperature change may crack the heater ??

A 5 degree difference with a 25% PWC will not break your heater. This hobby should be relaxing, so relax 8) It's all good!

I recently read an article that said to avoid using the "hot" water at all as it has more copper in it. The article recomented straight cold only. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this?

I get my water fom my RO unit into 5 gallon jugs. I collect water all week, for the weekend PWC's. So my water is room temperature when it gets poured in.

temperature acclimation is a little bit of a misnomer IMO.. If you have ever been in a natural body of water, a lake say, you will notice that there are surges of different temperature water flowing in the lake itself.. fish have adapted to this and getting it relatively close is all thats needed.. HTH

Menagerie said:
A 5 degree difference with a 25% PWC will not break your heater. This hobby should be relaxing, so relax 8) It's all good!

thanks menagerie - I trust your wisdom.

I get a little paranoid sometimes and caught up in fishkeeping.

:wink:

Bubble_B0y said:
what about the heater ???
i'm scared the temperature change may crack the heater ??
You should have your heater unplugged when doing a water change. That will keep it from turning on.

Back
Top Bottom